Wireless Networking Question

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by ShiggyMiyamoto, Apr 30, 2007.

1. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Okay, so I had this idea. I have an Airport Express across the hall (in my dad's office, by the doorway for maximum range) and that's what powers the internet for all of our computers. I've got my iBook, my brother's iBook, my dad's TiBook, this Dell, some Gateway pieca **** P2 233 running Linux, and our Wii downstairs. They all work fine on the network, except for this Dell. It tends to drop the connection when there's too much wireless disturbance "in the air" so to speak. It varies its connection speeds ranging from 18 Mbps all the way up to its native 54 Mbps (it's 802.11 G).

My question is: Would I be able to get a standard say, Linksys wired/wireless router and use that as an extender/bridge? Would that not be worth it and should I get another AP Express? I'd want to have it catch the WiFi signal and route it to the wired ports where I'd attach an ethernet cable to this Dell so it would have a constant proper connection. I'm assuming that for this to even remotely have a chance of working I'd need to turn off the DHCP table in the Linksys, should I get it. This is the only machine that doesn't like the WiFi in here. All the other machines are 802.11 b (with the exception of the Wii). I'm assuming that could be the problem.

Thanks in advance...

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well if the problem is a clogged wireless router then You'll just need another bridged router, Using another Aiport it would be A LOT easier to set it up as a wireless client which might aid your problem? Maybe the Dell just has issues with the original Airport and a linksys would be better?