Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nspace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I would like to setup my powerbook when it arrives on a wireless connection to the net so I can use it anywhere in the house ( I think the wireless g range of 100-150 feet should be fine, the wireless point will be in the basement, the main floor would have been ideal but I can't avoid this )

Currently I have D-link DI-604 router, and I currently have 4 pc's connected to it, so all ports are in use.

How would you all go about this? My thought thus far (I don't know all that much about networking):

1. Add a wireless pci card to my main computer, and set it up to share the connection, and have the pb connect to that.

2. Or get some sort of wireless access ooint that also has rj-45 connections on it (if there is such a thing) and connect one of the other computers to it and the pb wirelessly.

3. Replace my router with one of the wireless/rj45 connection ones and just use that.

I want to solve the problem by only having to buy one piece of hardware.Thanks! (Also is it tough to access shared drives on my pc's from the mac?)

Tom

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
In this situation, the only advice I can give you, is buy a 2-port (1 upstream, 2 downstream) network switch (not a hub. There IS a big difference), and plug one of the computers into one of it's ports, and a Wi-Fi access point into the other port. Then plug it into your router.

Remember, the Access point will require at most 54mbs, so it may as well share half a 100mbs connection with anouther computer. Giving it it's own 100mbs connection would be stupid.

Here is a crappy diagram

______
D-Link | - Computer 1
DI-604| - Computer 2
Router | - Computer 3
(Wired)| - Switch - Computer 4
--------.......L Wi-Fi Access Point*

(* such as an AirPort Express. They can be configured as an access point, just by plugging it into an existing network, and turning DHCP off. It detects it's on a network)

Hope this helps.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Using two routers, remember to disable the dhcp server on the secondary one and place both routers on the same subnet. i.e.
if your primary one is 192.168.1.1 the next router should be 192.168.1.2 both on the subnet 255.255.255.0

Nspace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
The easiest most economic way seemed to just get the WRT54G that kingjr3 recommened.

So I am going to sell my dlink now.

Now hopefully I have no trouble getting a signal in my house when the PB arrives.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.