Wireless networking with XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macfreek57, Mar 25, 2008.

1. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

I've got a problem with my wireless network, and I'm trying to see if it's just a problem with my router, or if others have had this problem as well.
    I've got a wireless router serving two computers: one is a Dell Dimension with XP and the other is my G4 iBook running Leopard. I use (or want to use) the Dell as a basic file and media server (i've got an s-video cable connected to my television) which I want to be able to control from my laptop over VNC. That's all set up and works, but the problem is that the network keeps giving out. It was only bad when trying to transfer large files, but now it will just die after browsing around the file system. It doesn't slow down or anything, it just stops transferring and then about a minute later both machines loose their connection, then reconnect a few minutes later. Of course the file transfer has timed out by this point. Also, VNC works with Leopard's Screen Sharing program, but it does the same thing. It works fine for a little while, then craps out.
    Has anyone had these or similar problems with Leopard and XP, or do you think I just need a new router?

Anyone?

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

go to the store and buy a new router, if it works, then problem solved. If not, you can return it and continue diagnosing.

3. macfreek57 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but

that's not very helpful advice. I've already noted that the router could be the problem. I'm consulting this message board in an attempt to avoid buying a a new one if I don't need it.