Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jynx21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Hi guys

Have just made my house wireless today with netgear. The internet all works fine but i was wondering how to sync both my computers up to a network. My scenario is i have one desktop mac connected via the ethernet cable and the other one is operating on a wireless card. How can i sync the both together and create a network, where i can file share and use the same printing facilities. Excuse my ignorance as i'm new to this whole wireless thing. Any advice would be wikkid! Thanks in advance.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
As the router is already handing out IP addresses, it's just a case of turning on the services you want to share on the Macs. Go to System Preferences in the Apple menu, and click on the Sharing icon. Put a tick in the personal file sharing box and also the printer sharing box on the machine with the printer connected to it.

That should be it. When you open a finder window on one of the computers, the other should appear under the Network icon. If you have different user IDs and passwords on each machine, you can keep the credentials in your keychains so you don't have to keep typing it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.