Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I love my old wired keyboard, but my new iMac will come with a wireless keyboard. However, it does not include the number pad. The number pad is important for me and using the top row will be very difficult. The only number pad I have seen is the Belkin. It looks great and would make a nice addition to the new wireless keyboard. However, it has some really bad reviews as being very unreliable. I could keep my old keyboard, which almost defeats the purpose of streamlining my desktop from a 24 inch iMac to a 21.5. Why have wires if I don't need it! I like the idea of wireless. Anything out there other than the Belkin, or anyone have really good results from the Belkin?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I love my old wired keyboard, but my new iMac will come with a wireless keyboard. However, it does not include the number pad. The number pad is important for me and using the top row will be very difficult. The only number pad I have seen is the Belkin. It looks great and would make a nice addition to the new wireless keyboard. However, it has some really bad reviews as being very unreliable. I could keep my old keyboard, which almost defeats the purpose of streamlining my desktop from a 24 inch iMac to a 21.5. Why have wires if I don't need it! I like the idea of wireless. Anything out there other than the Belkin, or anyone have really good results from the Belkin?
Doing a quick web search returned several results, including LMP Bluetooth Keypad (WKP-1314) and Bluetooth Calculator Keypad.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I just bought the Belkin. We'll see how it does long term, but first 24 hrs have been good. Looks and feels like an Apple product, down to the same battery compartment cap.

I had the SMK linked above. Works, and while stylistically it looks similar to the Apple keyboards, it's bigger in scale so looks a bit odd when sitting next to the Apple keyboard and trackpad.

Just remember that any BT keypad will need a second or two to wake up and connect, so don't start typing and get mad that the first few keystrokes were missed (like some of the online "reviews").

Oh, and on the Belkin, the "clear" key functions as the num lock on Windows (Parallels for me), so don't freak out if it doesn't seem to be working in Windows at first). There is no num lock LED, FYI.

josefj

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2014
Wireless Number Pad for new iMac

This one showed up on Amazon. It matches the Apple keyboard, but is slightly longer.

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Bluetooth-Wireless-Keypad-MacBook/dp/B00CJKW4WQ/ref=pd_cp_e_0

I too don't like using the numbers on the keyboard, makes it slow when you are working in spreadsheets. And since I'm trying to clean up my desk, I have to add a separate device to work efficiently.

Why Apple can't make a BT keyboard w/num pad is beyond logic. But then it's Apple. Some things they just don't get!

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Mobee Magic Num Pad

I just bought the Mobee magic num pad. So far everything seems really good. A little bit of a difficulty using the trackpad to zoom in, but I think in the end run it's going to be very good. I get to use the number pad almost exactly like my wired keyboard, and I get to use the trackpad when I need it. I'm also using a magic mouse. With my new iMac everything is quick speedy snappy and I'm pretty happy.

As I am writing this I just discovered something that isn't exactly as it should be. Using the number pad which is number 20, the delete key should delete everything to the right, However, it deletes everything to the left exactly the same way as the delete on the wireless keyboard. I'm going to have to investigate that because the arrow on the number pad makes it look as if it should delete to the right which is exactly how it works on the wired keyboard. I will miss that function if I don't get it back.

DeannaKylie

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
Where is 'clear'

I have just purchased a Belkin Wireless Keypad from the Apple Store. I am having the same trouble, the numbers do not work when using parallels. Although they are fine in Mac OS.
I have read over and over again that you simply have to press the 'clear' button on the keypad. But I can't see any 'clear' button!
Help! What am I missing? Is it a strange icon that I don't recognise?

----------

So I went to the little parallels icon at the very top of the screen.
Here it gave me a drop down menu, from which I chose 'Devices', then 'Keyboard'. This then gave me a list of functions of which I found 'NumLock' and clicked it. The numbers now seem to be working for now :)

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
My wife uses a wired keyboard with her 21.5" iMac and I use one with my MacBook Pro when at my desk with monitor. The wire is a minor inconvenience for gaining the extra keys. She uses a Moshi Luna backlit keyboard and I use an Apple keyboard. I recommend using your old keyboard.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Update

Here is an update on my use of the Mobee magic number pad. So far so good. There are some glitches in that sometimes it is hard to turn the pad on and off, But if you use the menu at the top it's no problem at all. The problem I had with the delete key, which should delete to the right, I brought in front of the people at Mobee for an answer. Their answer to me was not very good at all they simply told me to reprogram the key. However you cannot reprogram the key if the keyboard using does not have that function.

So, I plugged in my old wired keyboard and I then reprogrammed it using that same key to delete to the right from my wired keyboard and everything is just fine. So far it's doing exactly what I had hoped to do and I would recommend it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Please post a review after you've played with it for awhile.

So far it works great. Looks and feels like an Apple product. Connects nearly instantly when a key is tapped - the first key press wakes the device and connects but doesn't always register. The second key press registers, so I tend to hit the search key to wake up the keypad, then type away.

Highly recommended.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have just purchased a Belkin Wireless Keypad from the Apple Store. I am having the same trouble, the numbers do not work when using parallels. Although they are fine in Mac OS.
I have read over and over again that you simply have to press the 'clear' button on the keypad. But I can't see any 'clear' button!
Help! What am I missing? Is it a strange icon that I don't recognise?

----------

So I went to the little parallels icon at the very top of the screen.
Here it gave me a drop down menu, from which I chose 'Devices', then 'Keyboard'. This then gave me a list of functions of which I found 'NumLock' and clicked it. The numbers now seem to be working for now :)
The "clear" key is directly above the 7. It's labeled "clear"

I'm not sure how you're missing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.