Wireless on MBP continuously drops!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TimO16, Jun 11, 2009.

  1. TimO16 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #1
    I just bought a new linksys wireless-n broadband router, model number WRT160N.

    I needed it because my d-link g router wasn't cutting it. I can now get great reception in my room on the other side of the house, which was my main goal, but my mid 2008 MBP REFUSES to keep the signal for a continuos length of time.

    Once or twice every 10-15 minutes the signal completely drops.. Giving me no bars and no internet on my computer. I can then almost immediately go into the wireless settings and reconnect with the router and network.

    This is VERY frustrating. Especially when I am on ichat trying to have conversations. The connection will drop, ichat will disconnect, and it will take me 20 seconds to get back up and talking on ichat.

    This is a frequently occurring problem, and I want to know if its a problem with my router, my MBP, or just a problem caused by my house...


    Does anyone have any suggestions? Advice? Similar problems they are dealing with?
     
  2. theloveshack26 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #2
    I had the same router for a while and found that while connected using N it frequently dropped connection or slowed to the extent that it became unusable.

    Try switching your router to B+G Only mode and see if your signal strength steadies, at least in my case N didn't have a speed/range increase and G on that router was a lot more reliable than some others I've used in the past.
     
  3. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

    5DollaFootlong

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    #3
    airport extreme for the win. its worth the premium price because you get free apple care if you have a computer, and it can support 1 mac and 4 pcs in my house on an n network without even stuttering. buy it, trash your linksys router, and you'll never look back
     
  4. TimO16 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #4
    While I would love to go out and buy that expensive white block for a better wireless connection, the fact of the matter is I am nothing more than a cash strapped college student home for the summer. Also, considering I just bought the linksys router two weeks ago, It really wouldn't be in my interest to "trash" my new purchase and drop another $170 on something else...

    Thanks for the superb advice though...

    loveshack, how do I switch the routers output from n to b/g? and do I have to do anything to my MBP to receive the different signal?
     
  5. BeemerPecker macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2008
    #5
    I've got the same router. When I first got it I had it placed about 2 feet of the ground; transmission/reception was horrible. I then put the router on top of a bookcase, about 8 feet off the ground. Elevating the router has eliminated 99% of the "dropping out" problems; the other 1% of the time I have to unplug the router and let it reset.
     

Share This Page