Wireless Optical Drive Sharing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XFactorer, Jun 19, 2012.

1. XFactorer macrumors regular

Does Apple still do the wireless drive sharing? I remember when the Air came out, you could install software on another computer to 'borrow' the CD drive... is that still an option or do I have to get my own external SuperDrive? I'm deciding whether to order a SuperDrive with my RMBP.

I couldn't find that feature touted anywhere on the Airs' section of the Apple website... perhaps they're doing it to make money off SuperDrives?

2. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Yes, go into your System Preferences and then Sharing. First option in there.

3. XFactorer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I placed my order for the SuperDrive (with my rMBP). The SuperDrive took five minutes from "Process" to "Preparing to ship" so I can't cancel it now. :-(

But the rMBP is still cancel-able... especially if I go to an Apple Store sometime soon...

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, I did the same thing....Bought a superdrive for my MBA....Forgot all about the sharing....Used it once to install Office for Mac. Now it collects dust on my desk. GRR..:)

5. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

You can return the superdrive to a nearby store though can't you?

6. XFactorer thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah.... but I don't have a "near by" store to go to... at least not an Apple Store.

7. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Arhh fair enough, by the way, do you know if it is possible to buy a Macbook Pro online and then if unwanted, take it back to a nearby store and receive a full refund?

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Only to an Apple Store I believe, I don't think an authorized retailer or something like that will take it. (Best Buy might give you store credit? Not entirely certain)

9. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Arh right thanks. :)