Wireless Options.. please help:)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tl01, Mar 5, 2011.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I have had a a number of airport expresses since they came out. They all seem to need to be reset fairly frequently... every 1-2 days. By reset, I mean unplugging it and plugging it back in. What could be causing this? Would we encounter the same issues with an Extreme?

Also, what is the difference btwn an Airport Express and Airport Extreme. I use my Express at home btwn my iPad, MacBook, iPhone, (new iPad when it arrives), and my husband's PC. Would we be better off with an Extreme? My husband wants something more reliable and faster. Our Express is at least a year old. We don't need to plug our computers directly into the Extreme. Also, is the Time Capsule just and Extreme with a hard drive? I do like the idea of constant back up.

Thanks!!

2. lexvo macrumors 65816

Have you also tried to factory reset your Express? (unplug, plug in while holding the reset button) Sometimes this helps more than just a reset.

As for the Airport Extreme, it is said to be very reliable. I have mine for a few months now, so I can't tell you much about this. But in these months, I had no problems and didn't need to reset it.

The Time Capsule is indeed an Extreme with a HD. Old Times Capsules had problems, I think the newer ones are better.

You can also attach a NAS to an Airport Extreme. Most modern NAS'es support Apple Time Machine backup.