Wireless PCI issues - PowerMac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LaserBanana, Apr 5, 2011.

1. LaserBanana macrumors newbie

Hello, Ladies & Gents,

I installed a new Wireless-N PCI card in my wife's PowerMac G4. It replaces an older Wireless-B PCI card. The problem I'm having is when I boot back up it'll give me the "Please restart your computer" as soon as it hits the white loading screen. Other times I'll get just a black screen on boot up, but with audible hard drive activity as usual. I've never gotten it to boot up into the OS with the new wireless card - I had to take it out so my wife could use her computer again. I tried other PCI slots with the same results.

The new card in question is an Edimax EW-7727In, OSX 10.4 and up compatibility. (As listed on the box) It uses a Ralink chipset. The G4 is currently running 10.4.11.

Any help is appreciated.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i am not sure but if i look in the edimax list then this card is even compatible with 10.3 panther , with the right drivers , , so i suggest to download the right ralink drivers
    from here http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
    and maybe that solves the problem otherwise it could be a faulty card

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

4. LaserBanana thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, now I think it actually is booting up into the OS, but the screen is black and says "no signal" - I can hear volume button sound effects when I press them and the eject button works also. I tried with two different monitors, same result. Is there some conflict with the graphics card? This is baffling.

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

If it boots without this WiFi card, then it shouldn't be graphics. Try to reset PRAM. Your Mac was working OK before you added new WiFi?

6. LaserBanana thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the G4 works fine without the new wifi card installed. Resetting the PRAM didn't help. I'm going to try the PMU reset procedure. Also, the wifi card works fine in my Windows PC, so I at least know it's not faulty.

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Yes, it works with Windows, but it will not guarantee that if it works with Windows it will work with OSX as well. Remember, in order for the hardware to work, there should be a driver in between the OS and the Hardware. And that driver is called kernel extensions in OSX. If the kernel ext is not written very well it would not work in OSX.

8. LaserBanana thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

Alright, I'm not familiar with how driver installations work in OSX. Do I need to remove any current or previous drivers before trying a different one?

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Use AppCleaner to uninstall Ralink Utility (if you've installed it before, it should be located in Applications folder).