Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
Is there some technical reason that we can't download free podcasts from the WiFi iTunes Store directly to an iPod Touch or iPhone?

This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing one of the two. Just curious if this is a technical hurdle and I'm waiting around for nothing or if this is a software feature that could easily be turned on but isn't for some kind of political reason.

Thanks!

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I would guess that it is completely possible right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a future update in the iTunes wifi store, but I can make no promises.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
If you are jailbroken, MobileCast can download podcasts and play them back (but not through the built-in iPod app). Works well, and probably will be available in June if you don't want to jailbreak.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
If you are jailbroken, MobileCast can download podcasts and play them back (but not through the built-in iPod app). Works well, and probably will be available in June if you don't want to jailbreak.

Ah, good.
Thanks for the tip. Not the native solution I was looking for but if Apple doesn't want to grant me my magical wish then I guess I can get it some other way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.