wireless printer and internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jwassel, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jwassel macrumors member

i have an HP Photosmart C4385, and i have it set up so it is wireless so i can obviosuly print from my macbook while not directly connected to the printer

to do this however i must click the airport thingy at the top of the screen and change from my internet to the HP Printer, thus taking me offline.....

the manual confused me a little and the printer works fine and everything, but is there a way i can be connected to both the internet and my printer at the same time, so i dont have to lose internet connection everytime i want to print something?

thanks

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I'm not sure how you set the printer up, but if you are using a wireless router, the printer should be setup on the same subnet as the router. Then you can print from your Mac using the same network that you use for the Internet.

3. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Hi this is Vasanth here :)
    Can you tell me which Router or base station do u have .
    >>if it is a Time capsule or airport express or an extreme -connect the printer to that and open airport utility and in manual setup check weather ur printer is seen or not.
    .....if seen go to Print and Fax and tried to perform a Reset Printing system.
    >>>This will fix the issue

4. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

i guess i have airport? at the top, next to the clock and battery life and such when i click on the internet icon it says Airport On and then under it has the wireless connection that im using checked and under that has HP Setup which i click to use my printer

i dunno if that helps.....

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your printer contains it's own wireless card. There should be a way to have it join your home AirPort network. Check the manual for that. Likely to set it up you will need the drivers or software and connect via USB until it is setup. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

TEG