Wireless Printer in another room will it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SLR2009, Apr 2, 2009.

1. SLR2009 macrumors regular

Hi if I place my Wireless printer in another room will it still be able Scan and Print from my mac pro? It will be about 25-30 feet from the Time Capsule. Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, but you'll have to walk over there to get your paper ... and change the sheet for multi-page scans.

3. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the comment. So it will definitely be able to communicate with the Time Capsule at that distance?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I won't say definitely, but it should. You don't happen to have lead walls or a Faraday cage in your house, do you?

My router is a good 30 feet from my Mac - and behind my big screen TV to boot.

5. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, only a partial wall which I believe is made of plaster. The Time Capsule is in my Living room, the printer will be placed in my dining room. There's a large opening between the Living room and Dining room. Would I be able to print from my 2 computer's that are upstairs as well? Thanks

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Like I said, you should be able to ... there are a lot of things that can affect a wireless signal, but your distances and such seem like they should work fine.

7. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Does your Mac Pro have the wireless card, that's optional?

If it does, then there should be no issues.

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Not all wireless printers allow wireless scanning mind. Most just allow printing. And if it is connected to Time Capsule by USB, then it'll only print.

If you want scanning abilities, you'll have to hook it directly to your Mac Pro.

9. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I had to use my install disc, that came with the printer, to make the scanner talk to my iMac correctly.......

10. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Can't get printer to print

I set my printer up but it won't seem to print from the computer. I didn't know this at first but apparently when first setting it up you have to plug a usb cable from the printer into the computer.

I installed the driver's and software, I followed the instructions, it searched for my network, I wasn't sure if I should select "WPA or WPA 2" so I tried both.

it asked me to type in my network password but I had forgotten it so I selected "guest network" I then unplugged the printer from the computer, it said that the wireless connection was good but it still won't print.

It says that the printer is offline. I also noticed that there's no printer listed under Canon IJ Network Scan Utility.I don't have a wifi card in my computer but would that make any difference?

Under Print & Fax my Canon printer is listed there. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some setting that need to be checked? Please help, thanks

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It matters, you have to use the same as your network, or if you are going to connect directly to the printer wirelessly - you would choose none.

Your printer and computer need to be one the same network.

The printer is offline because it isn't on the same network.

Ummmm, unless it is Bluetooth, you need a wireless card for wireless to work ...

12. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I have a Time Capsule though, do I still need a wireless card in the Mac Pro?

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you want to print from it wirelessly ...

See this post above:

14. cube macrumors G4

I imagine that if the Mac Pro is connected via ethernet cable to the Time Capsule, it should work.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

True, it would, but the printer and TC still need to be on the same wireless network.

16. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep the Time Capsule is connected to the Computer by ethernet

17. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

I reset the network password so I'm going to try to hook the printer back up and see if it works.

18. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok it worked. Wireless Printing and Scanning works great :). I simply typed in my Network password and it connected to the network. Works great now. The user manual imo is not the most user friendly. All I have to do now is install the drivers on my mom's PC so that she can print from upstairs. Thanks guys.

19. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...you're still not printing/scanning by WiFi...that's your ethernet connection with the Time Capsule...

20. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Specify the drive letter and click next? what should I do?

So Wireless Scanning doesn't work through WiFi? Right now there's nothing hooked up to the printer except the power cable. I guess that everything is connecting through the Time Capsule. When I was configuring my Mac Pro I had the option of including a Wifi card but I never did. Can I still install a Wifi Card? Is it recommended to have one?

Ok I'm installing the printer's drivers and software on my mom's computer so she can print from upstairs. Right now it says "Map the card slot as a network drive to this computer. Specify the drive letter and click next." I have no clue what to put, anyone know?

21. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...not sure if you have to have a Mac compatible USB wireless adapter but there's tons of USB type wireless adapters that would probably be cheaper and easier to install than opening up your MP...

22. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Specify the drive letter and click next? what should I do?

Can anyone help me with my second question?

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Cancel. That's for the built-in card reader on the printer, and not necessary for setup.

I'm guessing this computer is running Windows?

24. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep it's running Windows XP. So how do I set it up so that I can print from that computer? I've got Bonjour installed on the computer. Thanks for the help