Wireless Printer Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by julienko3, Jan 2, 2008.

1. julienko3 macrumors regular

My father has a printer connected to a router in which I get wireless internet on my MacBook from. He enabled "Share Printer" on his PC, and I went into my Preferences to add the printer. When I click the "+" in my preferences, there is no printer to select. How can I share this printer between my MacBook and his PC?

Thanks

PS - I searched this subject and found a thread pertaining to this subject, but I need a more detailed explanation.

2. victry1 macrumors newbie

Wireless Printer Sharing

Hi Julien,

First, you have to network the two computers. Fairly simple on a Mac, a few more steps needed on the PC end. I'm assuming his computer is a PC and is the host computer. Then you should be able to "see" the printer.

However, I know when I tried to share printers with my husband's pc-the printer was an HP-I needed to download some software I think was called Bonjour in order to enable printer sharing. At that point I didn't do it (download Bonjour) and just plugged the printer in to my laptop in order to print.

The people at the Apple store were the ones who told me what I needed, so if you're still having issues they (or even the printer company) may be able to help.

Good luck

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the printer in connected to his father's router so i guess its a print server am i correct? is it connected by USB or the old printer connecter that looks like a big vga?

for your macbook try this:

- in the add printer window select IP and then LDP printer daemon
    - in the address field type the router IP address (i.e. for my netgear router its 192.168.0.1)
    - in the queue field type the queue name of your print server. for my netgear FR114P its "fr114p". youll need to find this out in the manual or by a google search.
    - name and location can be anything
    - select the printer driver from "print using:". if the driver isnt there you may have to try the manufactorers site for Mac OS X drivers. if there are none try the generic post script printer

im not sure about the pc. can you father print to it?

4. julienko3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies but I still can't get it. I have OS X Tiger.(just to let you know)
    I don't know what you were talking about with the "ip" thing.
    Where can I get this "Bonjour"?

5. victry1 macrumors newbie

Bonjour

Hi Julie,

Sorry you're having such a hard time. I know when I tried to print to the printer that was connected to a PC I ended up feeling that hitting my head on a wall would be more fun (& productive).:eek::eek:

Anyway, here is a link that tells you a little about Bonjour (It's from the Apple website):

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/bonjour.html

Think of Bonjour as a translator that enables cooperation between the PC and Mac as far as printing goes.

I would also suggest either calling the 800# for the Apple store or talking to someone at an Apple store about it. They are the ones who told me (& I also run Tiger) that I needed Bonjour. However, I am not sure if you put it on the PC or the Mac, nor do I know the system requirements.

Hope you get printing soon.......

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yep follow victry1's advice and install bonjour for windows on your father's pc. your mac already has it. what kind of printer is it? does it come with mac drivers?

first you need to know the IP of the router so ask your father, as i said its usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on which kind. then find the printer queue name. it should be in the router's instructions if its a print server. if you tell me the model of the router i should be able to find out for you.

as you have tiger i have modified my instructions as its a little different in leopard which is much easier.

- click the add printer '+' in print and fax preferences
    - select "IP Printer" on the toolbar at the top
    - select "Line Printer Daemon - LDP" as the protocol
    - type the router's IP in "Address"
    - type the queue name in "Queue"
    - again name and location can be anything
    - if Mac OS X has the printer drivers included select them under "Print Using". if the printer came with Mac drivers install them and then select it under "Other...". or just try using the "Generic PostScript Printer" driver which may work.

good luck