Wireless Printing: Advice needed...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Graphis, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Graphis macrumors member

I did a search, but couldn't find anything relevant...

Just about to order my new mac pro, and some other kit, and I thought I'd look into wireless printing.
    The printer I was planning to order is a Canon Pixma iX4000 A3 Colour Printer which apparently has the capability to be wireless as well as wired.
    I currently use a Belkin Wireless G-Router which enables my wife to go online on her Dell laptop.
    The new Mac Pro's come with Bluetooth as standard.
    Will this setup work as it is, enabling both myself and my wife to send docs to print wirelessly, or do I need anything else? I'm confused by talk of USB Network Hubs, or Wireless Print Servers... are these things I need, or don't need?

All advice appreciated.

2. Toups macrumors regular

if your just looking for a printer, that is a great choice for home use, as Canon makes some of the most cost-effective, not to mention high performing color printers.

If your looking for an all-in-one, HP has a couple of nice wireless units in the 6xxx and 7xxx models, or you can use a Canon mx700 connected via ethernet to the belkin or you can use a "game adapter" which would convert wireless to wired if the printer is not placed in proximity to the router.

3. Graphis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah this seems the best printer for both my needs and my budget. The printer itself will be sited next to my Mac anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me if it's wired or wireless (although one less cable under my feet would be a good thing), but it would be great if my wife can print from the other room without having to physically come in, unplug the printer from my Mac and plug it into her laptop, which is what we currently do.

4. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I use Bonjour.

My printer is connected to my G5 and I can print from my PC laptop wirelessly.

Works great.

5. Graphis thread starter macrumors member

So Bonjour's a feature of Leopard, right? Looks good... did you need anything else? What did you have to install, if anything, on your PC laptop? The printer drivers? How did you set it up?

6. Graphis thread starter macrumors member

Still looking for a bit more advice on this one folks.... Don't tell me all you experienced Mac users and experts are all still too shy to try wireless?

7. Toups macrumors regular

We need more details as to what is connected to each component then we can tell you exactly how to set it up. I do a lot of wireless work with my clients and on server and infrastructure projects so always happy to help.

8. Graphis thread starter macrumors member

It's all in the first post.... isn't it? what more do you need?

9. Toups macrumors regular

I will assume the Mac is attached is attached either wired or wireless ethernet (not bluetooth) to the Belkin wireless router. I will also assume the wifes laptop is also connected to the same Belkin router.

The printer will come with a CD and software/instructions to associate it to your wireless network, at which point you will need to install the drivers and canon easy print software which will find the printer on your network by MAC address and map a virtual port. After you have it installed on the first machine, just install the driver/printer app on the 2nd and subsequent machines.

10. Graphis thread starter macrumors member

1. Yes. At the moment my G4 is ethernet wired to the Belkin wireless router.
    2. Yes, my wife's laptop is wirelessly connected to the router.

My current printer is conncected, by wire, to my G4.

Are you therefore saying that it's just a simple matter of taking my current G4 and current printer out of the network, and slotting my new Mac Pro and new printer in? And that I don't require anything else for it to work?

11. Toups macrumors regular

If you can connect via wired I recommend you do as this avoids the step of having to setup wireless association on the printer, which is not always the simplest task.

FYI, I have a similar setup with my Mac in my office connected via my 802.11N wireless, 3 wireless laptops, Apple TV and my printer connected via ethernet to my router. Similar setup to yours, plus a couple more laptops.

12. Graphis thread starter macrumors member

From a couple of online reviews, I gather that the printer doesn't actually come with the USB cable to connect it to a computer. I assume this is because Canon prefer/intend it should be used wirelessly. If I want to connect it by wire, I'll have to buy the cable separately.

Aside from that, I don't need a Wireless Print Server, or Airport, or anything?
    That's great news. Many thanks.

13. Toups macrumors regular

Correct, USB cable is not included, but if your like me you have a few extras laying around, if not, you may need to pick one up to setup the printer. You are correct no print server or anything else would be needed.

Once your up and running let us know how you like it, I have to admit I really like the MX700 since I work from home and wireless scanning is pretty nice along with the fax. If you have any issues, just email me or post here.

14. Graphis thread starter macrumors member

From further research, it looks like if I wanted to have BOTH my MP and my wife's laptop not connected directly to the printer, then I would have to purchase a USB hub that connects to my Belkin wireless router, as this device doesn't have a USB port to plug the printer into.

However, as I stated above, it's not absolutely necessary that my MP isn't connected to the printer, as I won't be moving either around, and for convenience the printer will be next to my workstation anyway. The only reason we want wireless printing is so that my wife doesn't keep interrupting my work when she wants to print something:)

So, if I'm correct in my interpretation, all I need to get is a USB cable (I have a couple lying around), and I just continue with the same setup I've got now.... phew... thanks for your help! I just wanted to avoid unpacking everything, setting it all up, and then finding that I was missing some vital piece of the puzzle.