Wireless printing flakey at best

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Arkangil, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Arkangil macrumors regular

I havea MBP 2.53 and a Samsung CLP-315 plugged directly into my Airport Extreme Base Station.

Wireless network works great, Samsung drivers and software is installed on my Mac.

Why is the printing flakey at best.

When printing from Word or Excel (in OSX) sometimes it prints, and other times the printer light flashes once, and then nothing. In some cases I have to try printing 4 or 5 times before the thing finally goes.

In all cases the printer queue appears, and everything seems to go fine, even when it is not actually printing.

Also, in all cases, when I print, the little network printing box appears in the lower right (this may be samsung software at work) and it always says it cannot find the printer on the network, even when the printing does work.

Does anyone have any advice about this. I do most of my computing upstairs, and the printer is in the basement. I would like to know that when I click print, it will work reliably.

Right now, I bring my MBP to the basement and set it on my dryer. I just spam the print button until it works!

Thanks for reading my novel!! Any help is appreciated.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Does it do this when connected directly to your MBP?

3. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

No, when plugged in it seems to print consistently.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Are you using Samsung software or OSX's native print drivers? You should be using OSX's native print drivers when connected to a TC or Airport Extreme. The reason is because it is treated as a generic printer.

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

If you want good network printing with no hassles then get a network printer. Either wireless or wired. It's that simple. Apple's printserver in airport works for many printers but is limited and Samsung has not made this printer with this function in mind. That you have Samsung CLP-315W for. As geoffreak said above you have to use a generic driver to get the usb printer to work with Airport printserver.

6. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

Well, buying a new printer isn't exactly in the budget at this time, so I will uninstall the Samsung software and such, and see if that helps. I hope it'll be that simple.

Thanks!

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties