Wireless printing help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zigzag7712, Apr 19, 2009.

1. zigzag7712 macrumors newbie

I am a Mac convert from being a long time PC owner so please be gentle. Not computer savvy either so there's that.
    I have Mac Book Pro and am having a heck of a time setting up my wireless printing capability. I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I think I know my IP address. My computer recognizes my printer from it being connected via USB but that's as far I get. I can go into System Prefs and see my printer but from there I'm lost. Again I'm not computer savvy so please to speak in small words. My brain hurts already.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It would help if you told folks what kind of printer it is and what version of OSX you're using.

Pertinent facts always help.

3. zigzag7712 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using OSX 10.5.6 and the printer is a HP Photosmart C5180 all in one.

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I have a similar model printer (C8180 I think).

Once I configured the wireless settings on the printer (such as network name, security etc) I put used the CD that came with the printer and used the setup wizard. Worked really well and have had no problems.

Is the printer connecting using wireless or wired? Have you used the onboard diagnostic tools to find out its network information?

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have a C5180, and the scanner typically stopped working after MacOSX updates, but normally worked ok after updating the HP driver or software.
    Currently it isn't working for me, I does print and transfer photos from the card reader, but the scanner isn't. Any
    Mac OSX 10.5.7. + latest HP stuff available.