Wireless Printing Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Top-Slacker, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Top-Slacker macrumors newbie

Ok, recently purchased a MacBook and love it so far. Just encountered my first problem; printing.

I have a HP printer that connects via USB, I thought it'd be annoying constantly having to go to the printer to print stuff off, so I got a USB > Ethernet adaptor and plugged the printer into my router (Not an AirPort, just a linksys) via the adaptor. However, my Mac can't seem to pick it up. I tried using the printer options in system prefs, but no luck. So I downloaded the installer from HPs site, but alas that doesn't pick it up either. It can't be a problem with drivers as it works via USB.

Any idea what may be the problem, or even better - the solution? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Pictures of the set up options attached;

Attached Files:

2. elmo151 Guest

start with print/fax preferences.
    try to print a test page using the printer itself. some printers give the IP address

look at the system profiler. anything there?

if the printer is designed for USB the fault may be with the adapter. does it need some software? is it designed for a mac?

and, why not use the USB connector. If you have multiple USB devices get a USB huB

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I think you are almost there. In the first picture you have a create button. Then in your third picture you have a place to put your ip address in. Look at your network and find an ip address that is not being used and put that in there.

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

HP printers that come with USB-only connections, come with USB-only drivers.

Sorry - print drivers on OS X aren't like on Windows where a driver is a driver.

Which model print server and printer are they - most likely they can be made to work with a third-party CUPS driver.

5. Top-Slacker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, but no luck :(.

elmo - No luck, with using system prefs. The adaptor goes straight into the router, so mac compatibility isn't a problem. And I want to be able to print without having to go to the printer and plug wires in :p.

Reflow - Tried, but no avail...

gshli - It's a HP psc 1350

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Unless you've got some sort of print server sitting between the printer and the router, you're not going to be able to print to it. Some routers (AEBS, for example) have print servers built into them, and a USB port to accept a printer connection. What is this adapter you're referring to?

7. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I think gsahli is right. You need an Ethernet driver for your printer, since the print server makes it available on the network. Unless you can get a compatible driver from HP, you are stuck.

9. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

We would need the make/model of the print server, but in your first post you could try putting the ip address of the print server into the printer setup window and see if it "locates" the printer.