Wireless printing question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by munders, Jan 27, 2009.

1. munders macrumors newbie

I Have an iMac and macbook pro both of which have airport and run off version 10.4.11. Both of them are run off my wireless router which is in a different room to both of them. My question is I have a printer which is not wireless and i was wondering if it is possible to plug that into my wireless router and print. I have looked at the manual and it says I need a print server but i am unsure if i can get round this by just plugging it into my router. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If your printer supports an ethernet connection with an RJ-45 connector, it's simple - you would just connect it with a CAT5 or CAT6 cable to the router and set it up that way.

If your printer is strictly USB, then you either (1) need a router with a USB connection and print server built-in, or (2) a print server.

I did buy a D-Link wireless print server some time ago, and it worked like...well, it didn't work well at all, to be honest. The ability to print was very hit or miss, about 2/3 of the time I would have to unplug the printer from the server and plug it back in again before I could print, and worst of all you can't access the printer the same ways (meaning you likely could not use your computer to check ink/toner levels, use the printer's built-in card reader, etc.) - you could print something, and that was it.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If your router manual says you need a printer server, then, well, there you have it.

The airport express is a nifty little print server and you can pick up the g model for cheap these days on fleabay.