Wireless printing question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sebs2, May 24, 2009.

1. sebs2 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I've looked through a bunch of the threads on the forum, and couldn't find any exact answers to my question, so I'm sorry if it's a repeat.
    Here it is: I'm pretty new to Macs, and I'm trying to connect a printer to my wireless router and print wirelessly from my computer.
    Here are my specs, a 2.4ghtz MacBook Pro, a D-link Xtreme Dual band router (has a USB port claiming to have printer capability), and a Canon Pixma MP480.
    I installed the printer software, and plugged it into the USB port on the wireless router, but my computer can't seem to detect the printer. Any suggestions? Thank you!

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Your computer probably cannot detect the printer because Macs prefer Bonjour for this kind of stuff. In order to add your printer successfully, you'll probably need to do this:

Go to System Preferences, then Print and Fax. Click the plus button like you normally would. Make sure the "IP" tab is selected, and enter your router's IP address in the Address field. Leave the Queue field blank. It should work from there.

3. sebs2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried what you suggested, and when I tried to print a page out of word, it says that the "network host 'IP address' is busy; will retry in 10 seconds". After 10 seconds it still doesn't work. Is Bonjour something I can download that would make this easier? I really appreciate the help!