Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GtotheK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
hi all
i'm going to be setting up in a new apt and sharing a printer with my wife's PC. The printer is a wireless HP photosmart. My question is what is the best way to go about doing this? Should I plug the printer into my AEBS, if I do that, would the PC be able to share it, since the PC will be connected to the AEBS? Or can I just pick up the printer on my macbook over the wireless network? Please advise...I appreciate your help!

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
hi all
i'm going to be setting up in a new apt and sharing a printer with my wife's PC. The printer is a wireless HP photosmart. My question is what is the best way to go about doing this? Should I plug the printer into my AEBS, if I do that, would the PC be able to share it, since the PC will be connected to the AEBS? Or can I just pick up the printer on my macbook over the wireless network? Please advise...I appreciate your help!

...if the printer has wireless built in, have it connect via WPA2 encryption to your AEBS, then its on the secure net just like a computer...I have a brother 7840w AIO laser setup this way and I have my HP 7260 ethernet connected to one of the spare ethernet ports so that I can have a secure 1 TB HDD shared on my net via the USB port of the AEBS... its all really simple to setup:D

GtotheK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
...if the printer has wireless built in, have it connect via WPA2 encryption to your AEBS, then its on the secure net just like a computer...I have a brother 7840w AIO laser setup this way and I have my HP 7260 ethernet connected to one of the spare ethernet ports so that I can have a secure 1 TB HDD shared on my net via the USB port of the AEBS... its all really simple to setup:D

so just to clarify, i can just pick up the printer on the wireless network? do i connect to the same SSID as my normal network? or do i have to plug in a ethernet cable to the printer? u mentioned something about the ethernet cable, i'm a little confused...i'm a novice, so i apologize if these are stupid questions...

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...if your printer has wireless capability built into it, you just use the menu to connect into your existing wireless encrypted network...

If your printer just has ethernet capability, then you plug an ethernet cable into one of the open ports on your router and configure it from there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.