Wireless Printing - Which Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pictures, May 26, 2007.

1. pictures macrumors member

iMac + ethernet connected printer = want to go wireless. Which router is recommended? It doesn't need to be an Airport base station, does it? The iMac has no problem seeing the Belkin that's connected to the internet, but I don't know if printing is a different matter.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If the printer has ethernet, it doesn't matter who you use. But I don't understand... right now, your iMac gets internet access through a Belkin wireless router and is plugged with an ethernet cable to the printer? You should just be able to move the printer to the Belkin right now, if you want to. You may have to switch the printer setup to IP-based printing, but it should be very easy. You could certainly also get another router, plug the printer into it, and then have that router join the existing network, if you want the printer on the network but you don't want it where the Belkin is now.

3. pictures thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The printer is in a different location, where the iMac will be moved to, as well.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Answer's still the same. You can put the ethernet printer on any wireless router with a LAN port. The router can either join an existing wireless network, or you can connect the WAN port to a wired WAN. If you have good experience with Belkin, get another one; otherwise, I'd recommend that standards... either the Linksys WRT54G or Netgear WGR614 if you are going with 802.11g.