Wireless printing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EvanAgee, Jan 24, 2008.

1. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

Hello all,

I've got a Canon Pixma MP450, which is an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier. I'm wondering if there's a device I can get that will allow me to use the printer wirelessly. Maybe a bluetooth or USB adapter or the like. I'd like to ba able to keep the printer in a closet and still print to it from both of my Macs.

Anyone know of a good solution?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Here is a suggestion on what to get. I had this working on and epson printer and it worked fine. Just remember that you can only print while using this device. When you want to scan you have to unplug it and plug it into you machine directly.

3. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

Okay, ordered and it has arrived. I was a little dissapointed to see that there's not a Mac version of the software apparently the setup on the Mac can be quite difficult.

From what I've seen I need to find the IP of the print server so I can setup the IP Printer through the Print & Fax preferences menu. Can anyone tell me how to find the IP of the print server either through the OSX interface or even through Terminal?

I'd appreciate any help in getting this thing setup. I have a Cannon MP450 printer.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I know this doesn't help now, but an AirPort Express would probably work. It did with my Epson.

5. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

You mean your Airport Express is sending the data to the printer wirelessly? How is the printer receiving the data? Does it have built in wireless networking capability? Mine doesn't.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You plug the USB cord from the printer into the Airport Express. Works wonderfully!

7. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

Ah, yes. I'm aware of that ability. I'm wanting something a little different. I don't want the printer to be hard-wired to ANYTHING. I want it to be sitting in a closet all by itself and plugged into a wireless print server that broadcasts the signal to the computers in my house.

I have the hardware (Netgear PS121), I just need to get it setup.

8. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Could you go into your router's admin panel and look at the connected devices? That'll show you the IP address.

9. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

So far I've had absolutely no luck getting the Netgear to work with my Mac/Canon. Does anyone have a suggestion for a wireless print server that actually works on the Mac?

Thanks

10. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I apologize in advance in case I'm missing the point, but I don't 'get' your answer here.

For the airport express solution you just need two mains sockets: one for your printer and one for an airport express, with both placed in the same cupboard on a double mains socket. You hook up the airport express to the printer with a usb cable. Anyone on your wireless network will then 'see' the printer. If you have windows laptops you just need to download the free Bonjour software from Apple and they will 'see' it also. I know as this is precisely what I've done at home (printer in utility room shared by macs and windows laptops).

The PS121 also needs a mains socket and be attached to the printer via usb so there is no difference...in fact it's worse as this needs also to be hard-wired to your network by ethernet cable.

Vanilla

11. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

Ah, I just realized that you're talking about the Airport Express and not the Airport Extreme Base Station! I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I guess I didn't realize that the Express had a USB port on it. I think I'll be buying the Express. Thanks!

12. Handycamer macrumors newbie

I wouldn't be all that quick to invest in a Airport Extreme base station until you check out all of the facts. My recent experience with this Apple product has been frustrating, as far as wireless printing goes, and has been so uncharacteristic of other Apple products I have used and enjoyed.

I recently upgraded to the Airport Extreme Base Station (802.11n) from an old Netgear router. The purpose of the upgrade, principally, was to print wirelessly from my MBP to an Epson printer. The base station is connected to a Windows XP machine in the den. After connecting the printer to the USB port on the base station, installing Bonjour for Windows, selecting the appropriate printer/driver, etc. I cannot get it to work. The MBP recognizes the epson printer as a default Bonjour printer, even says the printer is ready, appears to be sending documents to the printer, but nothing....just no connection.

I have given up trying to figure out what is wrong and so plugged the printer back into the PC, giving up on printing wirelessly from my MBP....

13. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

I already have an Airport Extreme Base Station, I'm just looking to add an Airport Express that I can use to network my printer wirelessly.

Can anyone confirm that the Canon Pixma MP450 works with the Airport Express?

14. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I don't have your printer but I do have a canon IP 5200R and it works fine attached to the express. Technically its supposed to work wirelessly itself but found it quite flaky so gave up and used the usb port connected to an express.

Btw you probably know anyway, but remember that the express operates at 802.11g so you'll need to run your network at 802.11 b/g or setup two wireless networks, one at 802.11n and another at b/g.

Vanilla

15. jomams macrumors newbie

jomams

I have my Canon Pixma MP600 printing fine wirelessly via my Airport Express. I don't see any reason the model would matter...

What I do have a problem with my Express is it dropping the signal when streaming music, but I guess that's for a different thread.

16. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Is it possible to scan wirelessly as well, through the airport express? (I have a canon pixma 520)

17. jomams macrumors newbie

jomams

no scanning or copying...print only.

18. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Oh did really notice that you needed windows to set it up. As I have a mixed environment. If I remember correctly it really easy to setup in windows. All you have to do give it an ip address and go. Then go to printing preferences and use ip printing and add the address there.