wireless problem with MBP help ASAP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 31 YNOT, Dec 15, 2009.

1. 31 YNOT macrumors newbie

My wireless in my computer sucks! it fades in and out bad while my girls old PC works great sitting right next to me. I am about 30ft way from my router and up a level but it used to work fine, not 1/2 the time it wont even pick up a signal and I have to walk out of my room to get it. After I do that my wireless works just fine, like it is now. But there is no reason why another computer works great right next to mine and mine wont hardly connect to the internet. Some times my wireless says it is connected(the bars on the menu), but my internet wont work still. Like I said if i move closer everything seems to work fine.
    Do you all think it is the wireless card or something else. I dont want to take my computer some were and get reemed by their prices because I can do the physical part of the wireless card instal myself. Is there any other parts to it if that is the problem?

2. phishindsn macrumors regular

Need some more info. Type of wireless device etc.

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Try a different channel on the router. Sometimes works. What encryption are you using on the router?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Snow leopard has trouble connecting and staying connected to wpa2 32bit secured networks. If that is what you're running you could try changing the security settings on your router to see if that improves things.

Also, the aluminum casing of the macbook pro reduces it's ability to pick up wireless signals, I can bet a large your girlfriend's computer is made of plastic?

5. 31 YNOT thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah its plastic.

I dont know what im connected through anyway to check that on the computer i know the router is a wrt54g linksys(sp?)

6. macgirl89 macrumors member

Have you always used that router and has it always been having problems connecting to the Internet?

Perhaps you need to do a firmware upgrade on your Linksys router. Go to Linksys's website, click on Support, then enter in your model number. Under FAQs, click on Mac, and then click on "Upgrading the Linksys by Cisco Router's Firmware." This will give you all the instructions you need. You can put this into a new tab for reference, then go back to the page you were at and click on "GET DOWNLOADS" in order to download the stuff needed to do the upgrade. From there, just follow the instructions.

I was bummed because when I first got my MBP (first-time Mac user) the Internet didn't work. AirPort was showing a signal, but it just would not connect. Called Apple and they couldn't offer a solution, but the guy did say I might need to do a firmware upgrade. So I researched this and found that the above worked perfectly! I almost always get all the bars highlighted and I'm also about 20 to 30 feet away from the router. Hope this works for you!

7. vant macrumors 65816

The antenna is located on the lid of the Macbook. The Aluminum does not interfere.

8. 31 YNOT thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill give this a try its an old router still the blue with the antenna I know the new ones are all black and sleek looking