Wireless Problem work around ????

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bcooke, Jun 12, 2008.

1. bcooke macrumors newbie

OK, so I have managed to stump the advanced wireless tech at Apple. I too have the wifi dropping problem that I have seen numerous times on here. Strange thing about mine (and maybe others) is that as long as iStumbler is running, the connection is solid and fast. Quit iStubmler and it fades out. I just got this thing last Friday so I am waiting to see what they want to do. It does it at home and at a public hotspot so the router is out. I have installed and configured wireless systems for 10 years so I knew my router was not the problem. It must be some sort of hardware problem. It made no difference before or after the OS update either. Just wanted to share.. BTW, this is my first MAC and I am not letting this problem change my opinion. After 20 years of desktop installation and support on the PC side, I am excited to start my MAC venture. Hey, at least I am getting a crash course on the networking interface.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

That is definitely an interesting piece of this puzzle, my work around is actually giving the MB it's own router in the form of an Airport Express that I use for printing, no drop outs for me anymore either. I don't think I've actually run into the problem at hot spots though.

I'll have to try the iStumbler trick and see if it allows me to connect to the main router that I have without getting bumped.

3. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

What version of OS X are you running? 10.5? 10.5.2? 10.5.3?

For me, my wireless connection was terrible in 10.5 but was fixed in 10.5.2.

So, the first thing I'd do is make sure it's up to date.

4. bcooke thread starter macrumors newbie

OS version did not make any difference. The nice Apple folks are just going to replace it. I had the option of sending it back in for repair or just to replace it. I went with the replacement.

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I've found that revision updates didn't matter, the only thing that did is that when something else wanted to connect it bumped it off, I think it is also attributed to different speed devices connecting, I've got some b and g devices connecting as well and think that these may contribute to the problem.