Wireless Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, May 13, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i notice that my internet hangs sometimes when im on my mac, but while playing with my dad's windows computer i never get that issue. Im using a macpro and connecting to the internet through WiFi, same as my fathers laptop. After some googling i found out that deleting some plist files or some prefs file :)S not sure) will improve it? Am i gonna get a better signal doing that? Confused :S

Oh, im running Tiger 10.4.11

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Hi sOwl

Yes, indeed, deleting .plist/pref files can help a lot of problems, but depending on the problem, it may not help. It wont do any harm, as these are files are recreated once the application/program runs again.

With the connection problem, when you say hang, does that mean it just wont load the page, or you get booted off the net? Does the signal drop? Or does it go from full to weak/nothing? Does it work again after sometime, or do you have to reboot/do some other step?
    Is there any pattern to it, or is it totally random? Do you use a cordless phone near the 'Pro, or is it near a kitchen? If it would be possible, try moving either the Pro or your router in relation to each other. Even better, do you have another wireless network to join? If so, do you get the same problem?

Do you have another user account on the Pro? If you do, does that user get the same problem? If they dont, then it could very well be linked to a .plist file.

3. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

Well id say nothing of those.. sometimes signal gets worse but usually it just.. lets say "lags" as my brother says. He plays online games, and while the connection is great, he gets lag spikes that he never gets on my fathers laptop. Also, no, im not near a kitchen, and well.. cordless phone? no i dont have one but i do have WiFi speakers which are .g i think. They used to just get my connection speed lower when i had the router on another room, but since i moved it in the same room they caused no more problems. I dont think its the speakers coz like i said, works fine on windows. And ive tried logging with my admin account (im not using my admin account for everyday use for safety) and i still get the same problem... But i guess it wouldnt hurt if i tried to delete those pref files.. can you tell me their location?

And to add a second problem: Someone told me that maybe its the encryption that somehow gives me that problem, and he recommended me to try using WEP instead of WPA and see how it goes... guess my mac doesnt like WEP coz it cant connect if i switch to WEP... but i might be doing something wrong coz i never used WEP before and it has 4 generated keys and a passphrase. i tried all and it wont connect: "There was an error joining the Airport ....." like it doesnt matters what password i type, ill get this result each time. Switching back to WPA and it connects with no problems.. i honestly dont know whats going on :S help plz