Wireless Problems on Aluminum MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matthewscott661, Jul 5, 2009.

1. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I recently purchased one of the discontinued Aluminum MacBooks from bestbuy, and it had been working great until today.

Now, when I try to connect to my wireless network, the connection times out. It usually takes me four or five tries to connect, even if I'm in the same room as the router. After I am able to connect, I cannot get more than three bars on the airport signal meter, and the internet and network are very slow and unresponsive, once again, even in the same room as the router.

Is there any way I can figure out whether the problem lies with the computer or the router? I don't have any other wireless devices, and all the wired devices on the router work fine.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried resetting the router? Unplug the power cable to the router for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in, wait for it to fully connect and then try to connect to it on my MacBook again.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Can you take it to a starbucks or some other public place and try your laptop on their wireless? Do you have a friend who has wireless that you can try to connect to or do you have ha friend who has a computer that he can bring to your place and try to connect to your router.

The poster above me is correct, the first thing to try is to powercycle the router.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Before you get it exchanged or call up AppleCare try it at a wireless hotspot (Starbucks, library, local cafes). If the problem occurs at those locations, you're probably looking at a bad AirPort card, if not, obviously the problem would be related to your home network.

5. matthewscott661 thread starter macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Thanks for the help guys.
    It was the router after all. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but unplugging it didn't work, I had to reset it to factory settings and start from scratch. Only after reading through many pages of the manual, though.
    I'm just really glad it was my computer, I've only had it for a couple days and I was freaking out a little.