Wireless Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EricNau, May 2, 2008.

1. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

So, my iMac (G5) keeps losing it's wireless connection: not entirely, but the menu bar indicator will go from full strength to one bar and virtually all traffic will come to a halt. Also, the transmission rate will be severely reduced, usually around 11 Mbps compared with the usual 54 or 48, and often times will fail to recognize other networks in the neighborhood. Also, more than once when this has happened, the airport menubar icon will freeze (i.e. I'll place my mouse over it, click, and nothing happens: only the spinning beach ball).

I can't imagine it's a problem with my Linksys WRT54G2 router, as it was just replaced and the problem persisted.

Typically, these symptoms are a tell tale sign of interference, but I tried moving my computer to the other side of the house, as well as changing the wireless channel, but the problem persisted. Plus, in its current location I can't locate any devices that could be a source of interference (same goes for the room with the wireless router). As a final nail in the coffin, the two other wireless devices in the same room (my MacBook and wifi printer) will continue to send and receive traffic (their signal might be reduced a little, but it's hard to know for sure).

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

2. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just as a follow up, it's happened a few times since my last post and it doesn't appear that other devices are affected.

Most recently when my iMac's traffic came to a halt, I checked the stats and it was connected at 11 Mbps, but I immediately opened up my MacBook and it connected at 54 Mbps, so it seems as if the problem is isolated at my iMac.

Any ideas?

3. macdot macrumors 6502

4. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

goto system preferences-->sharing and turn off alll services then click on internet tab at top of window and turn off internet sharing

if that does not work, then your airport card might be going bad.

--Eric

5. DaveMackay macrumors newbie

Exact same thing keeps happening to me. It's going fine then out of nowhere it just slows right up and does nothing. SO annoying.

I just bought a new, more powerful router so it's not that. Besides, my Laptop and PC both work fine with it.

6. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Hi, guys. Can you take a look at the thread I just posted here and tell me if my situation is anything like yours?