Wireless problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stampax, Jul 9, 2010.

1. stampax macrumors member

Hi all - I have a problem with the wireless on my macbook pro (and also my macbook). Basically, the wireless works absoloutly fine when out and about at work or in a hotel, but in my house is pretty dodgy. I can stand right next to the router and it wont work, and there are certain other blackspots. It is exactly the same on both machines. Sometimes one will work after a few minutes, and the other will still show no wifi.

The odd thing, my iphone gets wireless everywhere, and has no blackspots at all. As does the horrible windows laptop we have.
    So - what should I do? New router perhaps? Should I try a 'N' router? any recommendations? Or is that unlikely to be the problem.

2. k43l macrumors member

What do you mean by "it won't work" ?
    Do you have absolutely no reception/can't connect to wireless? Or you just can't access any website?

3. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

Sounds like the router is the problem, but before you replace it, try changing the channel it's using. It may not help, but it's usually easy to do and is worth a try.

On the other hand, if you have 802.11n devices but not an 802.11n router, maybe a router upgrade is called for anyway.

4. stampax thread starter macrumors member

Sometimes just wont connect to a website, before timing out, sometimes has an explanation mark saying cannot connect to the internet, sometimes just acts like there is no wireless router anywhere at all.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

These issues can be caused by several things, one poster has suggested changing the channel. This might be a good idea, if you want to see who in your neighborhood is sharing your channel use Google to locate and download iStumbler. If you see several other we-fi networks on the same channel then it's simply a matter of finding a channel no one or few users are on and making the change.

Another possibility is your ISP's DNS settings. It's a good idea to change these as ISP's DNS settings can frequently cause the issue you're complaining about. Here is an article from MacWorld that discuss's this and tells you what to do.

http://www.macworld.com/article/146064/2010/02/troubleshootdns.html?t=234

Regards,

Roger

6. node808 macrumors member

???

Can you describe your signal strength? Sounds like its your internet service provider and not your wireless AP.

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

You may have an IP conflict. Try restarting your router otherwise reserve an IP for your MBP on your router (if you have access).

8. dcmike macrumors member

I've got an old Macbook Pro Core Duo and I am having horrible problems with WiFi lately. I've moved my Airport into my living room, so the base station is in the same room as the computer. Suddenly, my MBP will drop the network and, even though it sees my network, it fails to recognize it as a preferred network. If I try and connect by entering the password, the connection times out.

If I use the Airport Utility, it tells me that there are no Airports in scanning distance.

All the while, I can connect and use the network normally with my iPhone.

I'm just trying to keep the MBP until December, when I'll buy a new one. Anyone have any ideas why my Wifi connection is so spotty?