Wireless range extender?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ElGrecus, Sep 28, 2013.

1. ElGrecus macrumors newbie

We have areas in our house that cannot get our wireless signal using the standard modem that Time Warner provides. We switched to an Airport Extreme but that didn't give us any better signal. Are there any range extenders that anyone can recommend? We've been looking at NetGear, Securifi Almond and Amped. Does anyone have experience with these products? I wouldn't mind one that plugged directly into an outlet so there aren't more wires dangling around the house, but not at the expense of performance. Thanks.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

since your main router is an extreme, an express will do what you want.
    the old style will work, it's available in the refurb store, plugs directly into the outlet. but you loose simultaneous dual band.

for performance, your best bet is to run an ethernet cable to it though.

3. VasileiosTech macrumors newbie

3 days ago I wanted to extend my wireless network, so I bought NetGear WN2000RPTv2, notice the v2, I heard that the first version had problems...

4 things to say:

a) The set up was quick and easy, requiring two steps, 1) choose which wireless network to extend?, 2) whats the password (if any)?.

b) I have the same speeds as connecting to the main router and it can provide ethernet access as well (I really wanted the latter one).

c) Its really annoying that it has a bottom base so you can not hang this to a wall (at least without gimmicks).

d) Also keep in mind that you cannot connect another router to it through (ethernet to wan) so connecting a time capsule (as I wanted) was out of question.

let me know if you have any further questions.

4. ElGrecus thread starter macrumors newbie

Efharisto VasileiosTech. I can't seem to find the "v2" version at Amazon or elsewhere. Just to be sure, this extender does not require connection by ethernet, correct? You simply plug it in to a power outlet and find your existing wireless network with it? Thanks again.

5. VasileiosTech, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

VasileiosTech macrumors newbie

:):) (I did not notice your nickname ) Thats correct!

Here is an explanatory image http://www.netgear.com/images/wn2000rpt_productimage_homediagram18-10774.jpg

If you are staying in Greece, there are places you can buy it. The version is not always stated to the description, I do not know why, ask them first. For example, the place where I bought is was advertising the product as WN2000RPT even though it was the 2nd version.

Edit: One thing about performance I forgot to say, the aforementioned extender has an indicator for the wifi signal that extends (green, orange, red, from best to worst). I noticed that if the indicator is red, then there will be constant problems.