Wireless recommendations for MacPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mingus51, Jul 20, 2009.

1. mingus51 macrumors member

Hello,

I went into the Apple store thinking I could get an Airport Express and connect my MacPro via ethernet to it. The Airport Express would talk to the Airport Extreme on our second floor and I would be able to connect to the internet from the downstairs where I don't have a coax outlet. Or so I thought.

Was told Aiport Express can only broadcast a signal and can't receive it. Is this true?

If so, what anyone here with a Late 2008 MacPro have a recommendation for how to get connectivity?

Went the upgrade kit but I can't solder and I don't want to lug my tower to an apple store and pay to have them do it.

Thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Apple's Airport Express, while it technically can be used in the manner you described, is very unreliable when in this mode and not intended to be used that way. The Ethernet port is actually supposed to be the Express's link to the network and the wireless is how computers are supposed to connect to it.

You should be able to go to the Apple Store and have them stick a wireless module into your Mac Pro. From what I've heard, this can run you around $50-$60, which is cheaper than an Airport Express. Search the Mac Pro forum as there are a number of people who explain the process and/or part numbers needed.

3. mingus51 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Did a search and saw installation procedure on the upgrade kit.

Might be a dumb question but both articles say "attach the wires" do they need to be soldered or is there another route?

Thanks

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't believe there is anything that needs to be soldered, but then again I haven't done it, nor do I own a Mac Pro.

5. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Nope, there are 2 wires in there that you attach and then push in. Like a button. They are already on your Pro. The wireless card comes with little inserts. I have an extra one I purchased from the apple store to put into my Original Macbook. It did not have "N" but the Pro upgrade kit did and its the same PCIexpress card. I know this is not the "for Sale" forum but PM me if you're interested in it. I no longer have the Macbook and can let it go for very cheap.

6. mingus51 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the offer...had I not just got back from the mac store I would be interested.

I did a google search and found three articles suggesting the card installation was "snap n play"

I wanted to confirm at the apple store, but the particular people on staff today looked at me like I had three heads and kept wanting to give me macBOOK pro solutions. Despite me telling them "DESKTOP" or "TOWER"...sidebar, I hate that Apple is no longer caring about their workstations.

nevertheless, I bought the upgrade kit and printed some directions on how to install so hopefully this will be my solution.

I was upset to see there was no real viable solution for wireless on a mac pro on any of the mac vendor sites. USB adapter?!?!? no thanks

Now to find one of those tiny tiny little screwdrivers....