Wireless remote for Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by greens4245, Dec 3, 2007.

1. greens4245 macrumors member

I am an entertainer. I perform for a living. I always used my ipod video with a wireless remote when I was on stage. I am looking for a remote that will reach up to 50 feet away. It must be FM because inferred involved me pointing and pushing the button. If someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

2. greens4245 thread starter macrumors member

Do you think any of these will work?

Anyone able to help me? I really need a compatible wireless remote, RF if you could. PLEASE!!!!!

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I think a major problem with iPod Touch RF transmitters is that the headphone jack is on the bottom, preventing the AirClick from working.

I will research further.

4. 667-75 macrumors newbie

yeah, no Airclick from Griffin will work, because the jack connector is on the bottom of the unit, but the Airclick receiver takes up all that space anyway. As a result, if you plug in the Airclick, you cannot listen to your unit.

All the manufacturers need to do now, is either come up with smaller dock connectors, or add an extra jack plug to their receiver, should it take up all the space at the bottom

However you might wanna take a look at the "Monster iEZClick Wireless Remote Control" on the online Apple Store. It is a wireless remote control with bottom receiver, but it looks narrow enough to let you plug your headphone jack anyway. At least the page says "Touch compatible", which is a major hint :)

5. farmerjoe01 macrumors newbie

Just to revive a dead thread - I managed to very easily modify a griffin airclick for th eIpod Touch tonight.

I use one on my motorcycle and because I lost the remote one day and bought a second I happen to have a spare receiver attachment lying around. I decided to disect it to see what I could do since I recently switched to the touch from a 5th gen Video. I knew the remote worked with the Touch because I tested it without headphones. Considering these are available on ebay for ~$10 this is hardly an expensive proposition...

I opened up the casing for the unit that attached to the Ipod and immediately noticed two things that would make the modification easy:

1) there's a lot of empty space to the right making a large chunk amputatable

2) the ipod connection point is separated from the main board by wires meaning it can be moved.

I performed the following steps:

1) separate both halves of the unit that attached to the ipod.

2) Cut a chunk off the right side of the white casing on each half

3) Cut a hole on the left side of the casing the height of the board that's attached to the connector with wires (so you can push it further left 'through' the white casing) - I eyeballed it but I'm sure the scientists and folks with patience out there can make it prettier than I did.

4) put it back together so that each half of the casing still holds the connector in place, and a few milimeters of the main board is poking out the left hand side of the case.

5) tape it all together with duct tape (choose any colour)

And there you have it... enough space for most headphones and a remote for your touch.