Wireless repeater

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shiunn, May 15, 2011.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

Hi ppl,

Need some advice on wireless repeater please. I currently have a modem (Aztec DSL605EW) connected to a wireless router (linksys wrt54GS) that's serving most of my house. I would like to put up a wireless repeater to serve the rest of the area.

I have tried to use my spare Netgear dg834G as a repeater but to no avail. Is this even possible? If not, will any wireless repeater be compatible with my current setup?
    Thanks?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's an 802.11 network, any router with a "repeat" or "bridge" function should be able to serve as a repeater. Perhaps your Netgear router doesn't have that feature? If not, you could see if you can install DD-WRT on it, which is open source firmware that would add the functionality.

3. SithTracy macrumors newbie

SithTracy

I second the DD-WRT if your device supports it. Else, ZyXEL has a cheap option with the WAP3205. Check amazon.com.

4. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for input guys.
    Not long after I posted, I gave up and bought a TP-Link TL-WA701ND from a local store. It was fairly straightforward after that. I had to use the "universal repeater" setting rather than "repeater" like other users on amazon.

It is now working like a charm! Very satisfied!