wireless repeating..?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnnyyt, Jun 23, 2013.

1. johnnyyt macrumors member

i'm looking to improve my wifi coverage in my house.
    my modem and router are situated at one end of my house (bottom floor) and unfortunately, i can't put it in any other place except that one room.
    coverage is good until i go to the other end of my house (top floor). this is where it struggles to connect to my network and even if i do connect, its pretty darn slow

i currently use an older linksys router (e2000) as my wireless access point. i've had it for a while now and i've been thinking of upgrading.

i've come to the conclusion of a few options
    1) buy a new router and hope that the range improves and i can connect without any worries about speed
    - the cons are that this may get expensive (top rated routers are almost 200, if not more)
    - still may not improve range

2) buy one of those range extenders and have it plugged in the dead zones
    - cons are that i heard these suck and dont improve speed at all

3) wireless repeating...what is this and how can i have incorporated with my current setup?

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

Range extenders and wirelesss repeating is the same thing. They cut theoretical bandwidth by half to extend range.

3. johnnyyt thread starter macrumors member

so if i bought a range extender and plugged it into a wall outlet, it would be the same as setting up a second wireless router and extending the range?

sorry if i have this mixed up.
    im just trying to find the best solution to extending the range in my house without having to purchase another router for 200.

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

Yes.. Feel free to link the products but I'm certain it's the same thing.

5. johnnyyt thread starter macrumors member

if i were to buy a "range extender", it would be this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006V72AHC/thewire06-20

my second option would be to buy another router, something preferably cheaper like the 5th gen airport extreme and then use my older e2000 as the range extender and have it situated somewhere else in my house to extend my coverage