Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I am likely buying a refurbished MacBook. What do I need to set this up wireless in my home office? I would also want to connect my eMac, inkjet printer, and laser 4-in-one to this system if possible. Do I get the Airport Express Base or Airport Extreme Base? What will be the simplest way to keep my eMac and MacBook syncronized?

Vintage

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
You will need to buy a wireless router first. I recommend the Airport Extreme Base instead of the Airport Express because you will need the Base version to network your eMac via wire.
To network the printers, you can plug them into your eMac and share them, or plug them into the back of the AE via usb. From there everything is really automatic.

Gentile

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
I have my cable modem plugged into the Airport Extreme N. Then I plugged the printer into the back of the modem and all wireless computers can access it (printing function only and no scanning). If you get a hub or hard drive with a hub then you can have a hard drive that all computers can access wireless as well as the printer. The Airport Extreme N is fairly easy to set up.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Thanks. I ordered the Airport Extreme N this morning from Amazon. They currently have a 5% discount on computer stuff.

Vintage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.