Wireless Router Advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DeSnousa, Jan 14, 2008.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

As the title implies I'm in the market for a new wireless network. I have an existing D-Link router which has poor range and I need a new one which can extend to my lounge room (a good 25m away). I figured I should jump on board with the new n wagon, which offers that extended range, only issue is do I splurge myself on the Airport extreme or get a cheaper D-Link model like this?

What are the cons and pros of the Apple model over others and most importantly which will provide maximum range (I would like 4 bar reception). Both computers will still use the g standard and one is a Windows. Configuring is no issue for me :D

Thanks guys :)

2. beansmasher macrumors newbie

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'd recommend a Linksy WRT54G. Then set it up as a WDS repeater about 15m from the D-Link. That should take care of it for you.
    NOTE: You'll have to upgrade the firmware on the Linksys to DD-WRT (free and works great for me and my WDS routers).

4. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Well I do have a Airport Express if I can set it up as a repeater? I tried it before but the internet does not connect?

5. smogsy macrumors 6502a

DG834N netgear 270mps and got very good range has great features and only took me 5 seconds to setup the wireless on it would highly reccomded it

6. brettsinger macrumors member

FWIW, I've been having problems with a WRT54G but that's with the Linksys firmware, not DD-WRT. Am going to try and install the Open Source version soon.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=401699

Also, here's how to get DD-WRT onto later versions of the Linksys (haven't done it myself yet):
    http://tinyurl.com/2ypqcy

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Absolutely but not sure if the D-Link will accept WDS connections. Google for WDS airport D-link.