Wireless Router Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Peshwari, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Peshwari macrumors newbie

Hi,

Getting a new Macbook Pro for christmas, so I thought i'd upgrade my wireless router, I have a PC, mac pro and 2 Laptops (Mac & PC) was thinking about the

Linksys WRT610N

Has anyone got this? have you had any problems with it on a Mac?

Is the Airport Extreme worth getting instead?

cheers

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Seems a bit pricey, but Linksys definitely makes some fine networking products. You won't have any trouble connecting a Mac or a PC.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

There are many others that will work as well for less money. What features do you need. This one looks a lot like Apples airport extreme. I guess it all depends on the exact feature set you need and you don't say what that is.

4. Peshwari thread starter macrumors newbie

Just looking for a router that will work well both on Mac and PC, something thats fast, robust (doesn't drop connection) a nice to have feature would be a USB port to hook up a HD for back-up / streaming media.

Another more basic router i was looking at was the D-Link DIR-635 Wireless-N CableDSL QoS Router

5. FloridaMac macrumors regular

Is the Time Machine router/hard drive worth getting?

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The router doesn't care whether the computer connecting to it is Mac, PC, iPhone, smart phone, whatever - 802.11n is 802.11n. They'll all work with whatever computer you have that's wireless-n enabled.

I had a horribly rotten experience with a D-Link router/printer server, and their customer service was a Total Waste Of Time. I'd stick with Linksys, although in a pinch I've had good luck with Netgear.

7. FloridaMac macrumors regular

I meant Time Capsule.

8. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

I have a 1 tb time capsule works great pc & mac

I have a 1 tb time capsule works great pc & mac

9. RainMeister macrumors member

I previously had a Linksys WRT54 series wireless router, along with 2 Linksys range expanders for entire coverage of the house and yard. Setup was time-consuming and hit-or-miss, signal strength was inconsistent and still marginal in some parts of the house, and I spent every other month on the phone with Linksys tech poor support. My family and I hated it.

When I bought the iMac last year, I invested in the Airport Extreme, and literally threw the Linksys into the closet. The Airport Extreme was very easy to set up, signal strength and coverage was incredible, all with rock solid reliability. It has yet to require any maintenance.