Wireless Router as Network Extender on 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zoidaloid, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Zoidaloid macrumors newbie

I plan on getting new iPhone upon upcoming new release. Understand 3.0 to support WiFi connections. I live in a dead cellular reception area, rarely even 1 bar. Will my linksys wireless g/n router, work as a network extender? I mean WiFi is WiFi isn't it? I like to not have to pay $300+ for better reception.

2. The General macrumors 601

As I understand it, you want to use a wifi router to extend the cell coverage into your house?

That will not work.

3. Zoidaloid thread starter macrumors newbie

You got it!

Assuming WiFi connectivity. Or is the WiFi connection only for data as in web browsing, texting etc?

4. The General macrumors 601

The wifi connection is for data. Everything else goes over the cell network. That means voice, voicemail, SMS, and [data if there's no wifi.]

Voice, text messages, and voicemail will not work over wifi.

5. actorkid macrumors 6502

cellular service is not transmitted over a wifi signal...hence if you have poor service in your area, you're SOL

if you really want to use wifi as cell service, you would have to unlock your phone onto tmobile and pay for their wifi service

6. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

7. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

I think VOIP would be a viable alternative, no? I used to be in your shoes at one point and skype made things a lot easier for me.