Wireless router: Buying advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Soschil, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Soschil macrumors member

Hi all

My Airport Express broke yesterday :( So now I need something to replace it.
    But what to get?

I was already sort of decided on upgrading to an Airport Extreme, but now I have second thoughts. It's a bit pricey and I should probably get something with a built-in hardware firewall of some sort (which AFAIK the Aiport Extreme doesn't have).
    I need the router to be relatively easy to set up and configure as I have little exprience with networking/TCP IP etc - doesn't have to be as PnP as Airport but shouldn't be too hairy either.
    It would also be preferrable if it isn't too much of an eyesore as it will be in a fairly visible spot in my living room.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

2. freeflydrew macrumors member

I've had good results with the DLink DIR-655. I've setup a handful of these without hearing any complaints (you know how people like to complain).

3. dringkor macrumors member

Don't buy Linksys. I've had nothing but trouble with their products. (Dropped wireless and wired connections, reboots required, dead ethernet ports, and heck even the faceplates fall off.)

On the other hand I've actually had good luck with the ease of setup and reliability of the Belkin routers, which are like half as expensive.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Get another AP Express. They are compact, nice looking and they work ;)

Why do you need firewall in a router?

5. Soschil thread starter macrumors member

As I understand it, the software firewall in OSX is pretty basic, so since I'm in the market for a new router anyway, I may as well get something with a HW firewall as well. Supposedly HW firewalls offer better protection - at least that's what my nerdier friends tell me :)
    Were I to go for another Apple product it would be the AP Extreme, but for the moment I can't really afford it.

6. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

i second the dlink

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I agree this is what I have and recommend, no problems for me so far.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I just got a AEBS n yesterday b/c my AEBS g 'snow' was on the fritz and didn't like my iMac and Apple TV anymore. I tend to go for the Apple routers, while they are a little more, having hardware designed for my hardware adds to the comfort factor. And the look of the products is always an added benefit.

9. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

10. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Airport Express and Airport Extreme does have firewall. All ports are blocked unless opened specifically. Airport Extreme gives you 5GHz band capability in case there are too many neighbors causing interference at the usual 2.4GHz band.

11. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Get a Airport Extreme it's worth every penny, and it does have a build in firewall plus you can attach a hard drive to it like a NAS.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

13. Soschil thread starter macrumors member

Huh?! I do not remember opening any ports on my Airport Express:confused: Please elaborate.
    I do remember being surprised of the level of PnP - it literally took only 5 minutes to get it up and running.

14. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

15. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You don't have to open ports when you are the one initiating a connection behind the firewall. It is to block the outside world. If I want to login to your computer from the outside, I cannot do it unless you forward a port on your router to your computer.

16. Soschil thread starter macrumors member

Ahh.... *light bulb* I am enlightned.
    Thanks for clearing that up - I don't know much about networking :)