Wireless Router Dropping off?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AustinD, Jan 22, 2008.

1. AustinD macrumors regular

I have a 20' base model imac with the latest airport card/software and a netgear b/g/n wireless router paired with it.
    The router took quite some time to set up (December 26th) and is the first/only router ive used so far. Recently though it drops out quite a lot. I will be farting around at lolcat pictures and the signal just goes away.

I can see every other network in my neighborhood, so its not an airport card problem right? When it drops out I either scan the signals for a minute or so and it will magically appear again or turn airport on/off and it might come back. So is this a problem with my router, and if so is it a common problem?

Im trying to talk my dad into getting the time capsule because I also need a backup hard drive. The computer wired to the router is a pc, will the airport wifi work with the pc? And will I be able to back up the pc onto the time capsule either wirelessly or with a firewire?

2. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

welcome to the club. its a leopard issue. is the network encrypted? I'm sure it is, this what I've narrowed it down to. I had to make my network public so it wouldnt get dropped off. Hopefully 10.5.2 will fix this.

3. AustinD thread starter macrumors regular

So its a problem with leopard not my router? Thank goodness(in a way), thought i was going to have to fork over money for a new router.

Yes, its encrypted. Ill try to change that and get back to you on status.

Thank you very much

4. AustinD thread starter macrumors regular

It might be a little bit easier to do this if i knew how to change my router to public.

Any help? :rolleyes:

5. AustinD thread starter macrumors regular

Parents arent all for the public idea. Would this problem persist with an airport/time capsule, or am i just going to have to wait until apple updates this and if they do, any idea on how long it will be?

6. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

7. ekim yelmurc macrumors newbie

Apple Wireless Router same problems

I have the airport Extreme set up as PPPOE going to a cable modem and it drops out and loses it connection to the cable modem several times a day.

8. a1016neo macrumors regular

a1016neo