Wireless router for less than $AUD150 --- $USD125

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deanops, May 11, 2007.

1. deanops macrumors regular

Hi....
    my macbook or imac purchase is getting nearer, and i need to ask one more (yeah, right) question....

do i need a wireless router for networking two computers (i :apple:, 1 pc (xp sp2))... or can i just put a pci card into the pc and connect the mac to it wirelessly.... will this work??? will it be secure??? (mainly for internet shareing and file sharing)

If not, then i will have to get a wireless router, wireless-n is too harsh on the pocket so maybe a wireless g??? i want to keep the router next to my modem and existing pc.... without having to make a purchace of a wireless pci for my pc, can i connect it with wire to the ethernet port??or do i have to go fully fledged wireless???

recommend me a router for less than $AUD150 or $USD125

so basically what i am saying

OPTION 1 -
    PC - PCI wireless card - CAble modem(ethernet)
    Mac - inbuilt
    talk to each other

OPTION 2
    PC wired to
    Router - Cable modem
    Mac wireless

please tell me if i have any other options without breaking the pocket (too much;) )

thanks for any help... never networked before....

if you need me to draw a picture (no, seriously, a picture) then tell me

2. polevault139 macrumors 6502

On the Apple Refurb Store web page there is usually an older model Airport Extreme with wireless g. Maybe you could check that out.

3. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

It will probably be easiest if you just get a wireless router. It doesn't need to be an Apple one; not sure what it's like in Australia, but you can get a good router for $40 without much looking here in the states.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

fyi...........I recently sold a used D-Link Wireless-G extreme (108Mbps) router for $25US :)

plug & play 4 sure to both peecees & macs :D

if your computers are fairly recent and both have ethernet ports you can connect them together that way too.........

5. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I have my WinXP machine plugged in via wired ethernet to a 4port wireless router. My MBP connects via 802.11G. Windows sharing works on both, very easy to do. If I need to move a lot of data then I plug in my MBP to one of the wired ports on my wireless router as data transfer is much faster this way.

In Canada, the DLink 624 wirelessG router with 4 wired ports is about AU$60. It's a good basic router. For US$125 you can get 802.11N routers. I'd look into buying router from NAmerica and shipping as tbe big box stores here are cheaper than Dick Smith Powerhouse.

6. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

can anyone point me to a store that will ship internationally and that is cheaper than at least $AU180 ??