wireless router for under $50?

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
Hey all! I'm getting a MacBook this week for graduation (and it kills me that it's downstairs in a closet waiting to be opened!....parents dont know that I know lol). I would like to get a wireless router (for under $50) so I can go all over the house with my MacBook. I have Bellsouth DSL. First I would like to know if wireless routers work well with PPPoE connections (where you have to connect with a UN and password). And which one do you recommend? I did some research online for reviews but they all seem to be mixed and it just confused me even more.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I've used a D-Link DI-614+ (discontinued) and a Linksys WRT-54G with BellSouth. I got each for $49, one in '03 and the second a few months ago.

You'll probably be fine with any router from a name brand company. The more expensive ones just do the same thing in fancier, more cutting-edge ways, and it's usually not worth it.

A low-end router from D-Link, Linksys, or Netgear will do you more than enough. And as far as PPPoE, it won't make a difference to the end-user.

Cheers,
reality

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
gallagb said:
i'm pretty sure most wireless routers will do as you want-
a) work w/ the macbook
b) allow you to put a password on it
c) work w/ your DSL

i'm not sure- however- what the "UN" means

(self promotion...shameless:)
i'm selling one:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=202328
(for under $50)
it is a d-link DI-524
hey thanks! oh and UN means username....i guess I shouldnt be so lazy lol. sent you a PM....

Bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
Not to be a bust, but Compusa usually has sales on really good routers, check them out cause you'll get a 1 year warranty which is always good.:)