Wireless router help needed.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Vocalities, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Vocalities macrumors newbie

I'm a complete dope when it comes to this. Basically, here is the situation..,

I have the Linksys WAP54G. Basically, I have my Mac (the iMac, which is where Comcast installed the modem and plugged the ethernet into), a Toshiba laptop with Windows, and an older model PC with Windows (all in different rooms, not to mention a 360 and Wii, sheesh). Comcast refused to help when they came over to install our internet, saying we had to call anybody in the world other than them, but I have a coax cable running into our modem, and an ethernet cable running from the modem into the Mac.

What we're wanting to do is just run the ethernet cable into the wireless router, and that should just give us all wireless internet access. Right? I mean, it seems to want to work for the Mac minus one problem: when I'm setting up airport (is that what I need to do?) it tells me a password is required. So I typed in just random stuff and it said it's not the right password. I undid everything, and tried again a few hours later and suddenly it tells me it's name is Gerald. So I guess that's somebody else's wireless connection or...something Linksys set up...who knows. Anyway, typing in that, or admin, or any other password I try comes back with "incompatible security".

Now, I went straight to Linksys' website first and asked their forums what to do and the ONLY advice I got, hours later, was "download the manual". Well, I did. And all it is is a guide through the install disc. Which is for Windows. And it doesn't mention anything about a password other than the one I create so nobody else can use my wireless internet. WAY TO GO LINKSYS FORUM.

So, can anybody help me set this crap up? I'm unbelievably frustrated as whatever someone tells me to try results in me having to disconnect my internet and not have it for support.

Thanks. Sorry if this is in the wrong board. I'm not sure where it goes.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Reset everything except the iMac, and use the Windows PCs to set up the router using the disc.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

You need to connect the router's WAN port to the modem and yur iMac to the routers's LAN port. Then power cycle everything. Your imac should now be on the Internet via the router. Don't worry about wireless stuff for now, it's all wired.

The next step is to access the web server that is built into the router. You will need to type it's IP address into safari. Get the IP address from the manual. Now you will find a bunch of web page forms where you can set up the wireless network. Do that, choose a network name password. That should get you going. Of course you will have to go and set up each computer or other device to access your new network.

4. Vocalities thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. This stuff is frustrating haha.

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Chris is right. He/She only left out a couple useful details:
    1. To access the web server built into the LINKSYS router type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar in safari or firefox
    2. The password that the above mentioned web server will ask of you is "admin", with no user name at all
    3. Once in there change the name of the SSID (the factory default is Linksys) and set your own WPA password
    4. After all is done, disable the wireless interface of the router's webserver, so no one can change your settings without physical access to the router

Only at the beggining, good luck and comeback to tell us if there is anything else that we can (try to) help you with.

Please don't

6. dvanderl macrumors newbie

Update Firmware with DD-WRT

@ Vocalities. Go to the DD-WRT website @ www.dd-wrt.com and download the latest firmware for your router (http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/downloads.html). This open source software is much better than what comes on the Linksys router. Be sure to connect via CAT-5 when updating so as to not "brick" your router. Want an even better solution? Buy the Linksys WRT54GL router. I set up a couple of parabolic dishes with this router and the firmware upgrade and was able to shoot the signal over a mile wide lake. Good luck! :)

7. Vocalities thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't had a chance to get to my router problem, but I just wanted to stop by and say thanks to you guys. MUCH MORE helpful than the Linksys forums.