Wireless Router Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mbleopard, Dec 27, 2008.

1. mbleopard macrumors regular

So I have had my macbook for about a month or so now and keep encountering the same problem. With my 2wire wireless router every once in awhile the internet will drop out. This never happened with my old HP and doesn't seem to happen with my macbook on some other wireless networks.

My question is this, if I go and buy the Airport Extreme could this solve my problem? I don't really want to go out and buy it if its not going to work, but some other people have mentioned that it may help.

Also there is a USB port on the Airport Extreme, can I connect a harddrive and use that for Time Machine? Thanks for the help

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yes you are correct you can connect an USB drive to the aebs to use for time machine. As for the other question wireless routers do go bad every once in awhile.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Buying any other router should have the same effect, but for a quarter of the price. Consumer routers tend to be cheaply made, and have a habit of dying periodically. Planned obsolescence, I guess. Is it more than a few years old?

4. mbleopard thread starter macrumors regular

Its only a couple months old, its not completely dead, the wireless just cuts in and out. Its a 2wire i got from ATT I signed to get my internet with them.

Oh well, I'll just go out and buy a Belkin or Netgear and see if that helps

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's what I'd suggest, yeah. If that doesn't help, you can always return it. If you got the router from your ISP, I'd particularly doubt its quality. I know they have to come replace my modem every year or two because the damn thing has died on me again...