wireless router (linksys), airport card woes...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joebressler, Feb 7, 2008.

1. joebressler macrumors newbie

i'm on a network at my house with a PC connected to a linksys wireles router. its been working fine for about four years now. today, a couple of hours ago, the signal slowly became weaker and weaker until finally it gave out completely. now my computer (powermac) will randomly pick up the signal again every once in a while for like 15-20 seconds. what could be wrong? router giving out? something to do with the network configuration? what gives?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you have another computer you can test the connection with?

In all likelihood it's the router.

3. joebressler thread starter macrumors newbie

so what are my options? buy another router?
    what about connecting my computer to an additional modem? is that taboo generally? i feel like there must be a reason more people don't just buy another modem if they need to connect another computer.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

To clarify, how many computers do you have in your house connected to the internet? One or two?

How is your network setup? ...I'm unclear on how you could use a second modem.

If you have more than one computer you need a router to share the internet connection.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You can only have one modem per line (DSL or Cable). You need a router to do NAT (network address translation), which allows multiple computers to share a single internet connection to the modem...

If your router's wireless connection isn't working, then you should get a new router.

From what you have described, it's hard to tell if it is a router issue, or a Mac issue. Thats why you need a 2nd computer to test with.

If a 2nd computer works, then the issue is probably with your Mac. if the 2nd computer doesn't work, then you probably have a router issue.

6. joebressler thread starter macrumors newbie

im sorry i couldn't explain my set up better; i think it's partially why i am having a hard time diagnosing the problem myself. basically i have a PC with the router connected to it and the computer that needs to recieve the signal is a mac. i do not have another computer available to test. i meant to ask if i could use two modems to one cable line.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

That is a pretty common setup for a PC and a laptop or other wireless computer. Your setup is fine.

Can't use two modems on one line.

You can certainly try replacing the router - just make sure you can bring it back "if it doesn't work".

That is probably what I would do next, if your existing setup has worked for a long time without changes...

8. tunk macrumors newbie

Router

Stupid question but have you reset the router, switch it of for a few minutes
    then switch it on again should be a button on the front.
    If that doesn't work reset to factory default ie clear all the setting and set up your router again from scratch.
    I have done this about 5 or 6 times for clients it has nearly always worked.
    Good luck.

9. joebressler thread starter macrumors newbie

its not the router; i bought another one and the same problem still exists. i hooked up the new one and it worked for about five minutes and then back to square one. could it be my airport card?

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, it could be the airport card, but it could also be interference.

Did you recently buy anything that could emit RF such as cordless phones, speakers, microwaves, etc. ...or do you live in an apartment building where one of your neighbors could have purchased something?