Wireless Router Problems, Pls Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GStreakT, Dec 24, 2007.

1. GStreakT macrumors member

Hi, hi. A friend gave us a 3Com wireless router and I was just experimenting with it but now I'm having problems. First the details:

I'm typing this on a Windows XP Pro. Prior to the router, we had installed a D-Link ADSL Modem to this machine. Just a few minutes ago, I hooked up this DSL modem to the 3Com router. I reseted the modem, router, and the PC and it got me connected to the internet (my PC doesn't have a wireless card so everything was done using ethernet cables). But my MacBook sitting in the other room detects the 3Com wireless signals but won't connect to the internet! I opened up Command Prompt on the PC and looked at the IP address and Subnet mask (which is 255.255.255.0, and it's supposed to be right, I think). I also went to http://192.168.1.1 and the PC detected the 3Com router which brought me to the 3Com configuration page. I don't know what I'm supposed to do for the MacBook to connect to the internet because it detects the signal but it just won't load web pages or sign into MSN, but on the PC everything works fine. So it can't be the way I set up the modem and the router, right?

Also, would anyone know how to secure my network? On the3Com configuration page, it said Encrypt but I don't know the difference between 128-bit WEP and 16-bit WEP?

Thanks so much in advance!

P.S.-I'm using PPOE and I don't know anything about the DHCP bit.

2. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

....anyone? Sorry, the PC is slow and I really have to send out a bunch of Christmas greetings! :(

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

you should hit the reset button on the router if you havn't done so already. then be sure to change the access password and username on the router so it's not the default admin/admin or the like. set up a WEP 128bit key for your router and enter your password which i think is 16 characters. setup a wireless network name. if you're really worried about security, go WPA.

the reason your MB couldn't couldn't connect because there was probably aleady a network password on the router. just try a reset and set it up to your specifications.

happy holidays

4. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Okay, this was pretty stupid of me, but the http://192.168.1.1/ URL would keep timing out and so I think I resetted the D-Link modem (as well as the router). After restarting, http://192.168.1.1/ now takes me to the D-Link modem settings page and not the 3Com's (even though the 3Com router is still connected and everything). Would you know how to make the link go to the router config page and not the DSL modem's?

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

to get the modem and not the router, you will need to enter your ip address that was given to you by your isp. i think you can open up terminal and type in "ifconfig" (minus the "") and should bring up your modems ip.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

enter your modem's ip address and should bring you to it's sign in page. enter the default user name and password.

7. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I did. Here's what I got:

[​IMG]

The 192.168.1.1 URL takes me to the modem's page. But I want to set up the router not the modem.

P.S.- I just found out that the D-Link setting is on Bridge instead of PPOE. Should it remain this way? Why does technology hate me.

8. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

If your router is made by 3Com I would try googling "3com default router ip address" and something should pop up. I know that they are different; i've found Linksys is 192.168.1.1, dlink is 192.168.0.1, etc.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

the 192.168.1.1 or the like should take you to the router not the modem. since your using windoze, go to start > run > type CMD then enter. type in ipconfig /all. your default gateway will be your router.

10. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Default router IP addresses are usually 192.168.1.1 . Idid google it just to be sure and it saidthe same thing. The computer detects the brand and displays the admin/config page of the router on this URL.

11. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, Orange SVT. I thought it should be taking me to the router page but it's being really obstinate.

I finally got the 3com admin page to show up. It's been very unstable for the past half hour 'cause I would switch on the router after the DSL modem was already on and 192.168.1.1 would take me to the 3Com admin page and later on it would refresh by default and go to the D-Link DSL admin page. Is there any way to stop this? (Ugh by the way, it just happened again). I understand the router's now on a different IP address but whenever I try putting in the numbers that appear on the Default Gateway of the router, that page won't open. It's driving me crazy. And now the MacBook airport says "There was an error connecting to 3Com" even though prior to configuring the router it would detect the signals just because the router's power was on.

The Internet Connections on the 3Com admin page are all N.A. now:

[​IMG][/IMG]

I'm so tempted to break the antennas on the router now!

P.S.-I found out that the connections on the XP and MacBook are both on DHCP and whenever FireFox defaults to the D-Link DSL modem admin page, the setting is always on Bridged (this is on the admin page, not in Network Connections).

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

if you're using PPPoE, did you input your user name and password correctly?