Wireless router question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jessica08, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

Stupid question alert: o_O

I am starting back school in a few days, and I will need to bring my iPad with me to our family business so I can work on stuff when we aren't busy. The only thing we have now is a modem with an Ethernet cable attached to it plus a cable attached to each computer.

Do all I need to purchase now is a wireless router to get Wi-Fi up and running? For some reason we have never had a wireless router, and I'm not sure all how it works, so I want to make sure I get the correct stuff needed for Wi-Fi since my iPad is Wi-Fi only. Any help on setting it up and how to get Wi-Fi going will be great. Also, any tips on which router to buy?

Thanks!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Some schools don't want you to use wireless so check with the schools IT division or your RA, if you are still in the dorms.

Tell us the Macs and Windows machines at what version of System ypthey are using. I say some device might do only B frequency, G frequency or N or AC. Plus are using CAT 6 Ethernet cables? Does the roommates have Gigabit Ethernet cards installed?

I ask because sometimes colleges frown on students when surfing. So look at using a proxy sever when at school to do your surfing!

3. Jessica08 thread starter macrumors regular

Jessica08

I want to use my iPad at work to do some school work when we're not busy. It's all online classes at the moment. I just needed to know how to set up a wireless router as I've never done it and which to get?

We have two computers at work both windows based. One is running 7 the other 10. I'll want to use my iPhone and iPad there as well.

I'm thinking this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z0V2NQ8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UVN20T0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2017 ---
    Not sure about the Ethernet cables. It's blue is all I know. Haha.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is there a device in between the modem and these two computers connected over ethernet. Typically a cable/DSL modem will only have one ethernet out port and can only run one computer. The fact you have two, makes me think you may already have a router, or the cable modem includes a router?

Can you tell us more about what gear is there now and model numbers maybe?

5. Jessica08 thread starter macrumors regular

Jessica08

Sorry I meant to attach a picture. Here is the only thing we have. [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2017 ---
    We run the blue Ethernet cable to the computer that is in that office, and in my office, which is 20 yards away. I have another blue Ethernet cable plugged into my computer. It comes out from the phone jack in the wall.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahhh... good. You should be all set with just that device. That is a DSL modem with a router and wifi already built in. It is only 802.11g wifi, but that will be okay for some casual iPad usage.

http://192.168.1.1

Click this link from a computer already attached to the device over ethernet and it should get you to the settings page where you can configure the wifi for yourself.

7. Jessica08, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

Jessica08 thread starter macrumors regular

Jessica08

Really? That's great. I'll go try it now.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2017 ---
    Okay when I click on that link. It pulls up a page that says: Connection name; PPP status, which is UP; disconnect; profile editor.

Not sure what to do now?

It also has links at the top like status, configuration; maintenance.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just go to to wireless under that configuration tab. It is towards the end of that PDF Fishrrman linked.

10. Jessica08 thread starter macrumors regular

Jessica08

Thank you both very much. This is embarrassing, but it only took two clicks to get wifi up and running. LOL. I had no idea, so I'm glad I asked here. :D