Wireless Router Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RDM3, Jun 25, 2009.

1. RDM3 macrumors regular

I have a Linksys Wireless Router and a Linksys Modem, the router is 6 years old or so 802.11b, how much faster would the Internet be if I had a combined Linksys wireless router/modem versus the 802.11b that I have now?

Would I see a huge difference? I am running my Macbook off it and an olde Toshiba laptop.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It will depend on the speed of your internet connection. You can get a maximum speed by connecting via wire or straight to the modem and testing at www.speedtest.net. Then, repeat the test over WiFi. If your bandwidth is significantly reduced, you're being limited by your router.

802.11b will give you 11Mbps maximum though put. If your connection is >5Mbps or so, you may see a benefit in going to 802.11g.

Also, a newer router would support WPA/WPA2 encryption, which makes for a much safer network.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You're intranet (internal network) will be much faster. You can't, however, substantially increase your internet speed without changing your provider's service. Also, with the newer router you will have much better range in your household/building.
    Another factor to consider is increased bandwidth. With multiple systems accessing the internet, a newer n router maintains a better internet signal to all systems where a older b router falls off quickly. For instance, if you have one MacBook in a house accessing a wireless router, the b and n will perform virtually the same. If instead 2 MacBooks are on the internet at the same time, both would have that same speed as the one did with an n router but with the b router, the speed would decrease or degrade.

It's a little more technical than I've written but this brings it to a user discussion level. -GDF

4. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!! I will have to look in to a new wireless router/modem combo and test the speed of my connection.

Using speakeasy.net here are my upload and download speeds hitting in Washington DC

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1360 kbps (170 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3111 kbps (388.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Is that via WiFi or wired? Also, you should be able to goto your ISP's website and see what your rated speed is supposed to be. If you're within 10-15%, don't panic that you're getting jipped, it could just be network overhead.

6. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

That was wireless and I use Comcast but I am not sure which plan, i think it is the basic plan.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Out here in CA, Comcast is good for 15Mbps down, and 10.5Mbps upstream (I just ran a couple speedtest.net tests, one local, one not so local), on the basic package. We were just doubled in terms of speed last month though. Oddly enough, the upload is actually rated for something like 2Mbps I think, while the download is spec'd at 12Mbps with "PowerBoost" upto 16, but I seem to get the 16 all the time pulling files down at 2.0MBps from Apple and any other nice server.

Either way, Comcast's connection is faster than what 802.11b can handle, you'd probably benefit significantly from a G-based router.

I think out in DC, the connection is 8Mbps for the basic, and 12Mbps for the higher package. As I said earlier, B-spec is 11Mbps maximum throughput, which you won't usually see, so yeah...you're being limited by the router.

8. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

So you would upgrade to a G router and not the N router?

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Seeing how I don't do internal networking for file transfers, G was plenty sufficient. Also, when I bought my G-router, N-routers were still kind of pricey so I didn't want to drop the extra cash. Seeing how the price gap has closed a bit, it may be a good idea to buy an N-router for future proofing.

If you do buy an N-router, try and find that can broadcast both 2.4ghz and the 5ghz band so you'd get maximum throughput for internal network transfers. The N-routers that only do 2.4ghz single band cannot achieve the maximum N-speeds from what I remember.

I don't recall if the 2.4ghz and 5ghz are simultaneous for N-mode, but if you need to run G+N for older laptops, you'd want to make sure it can do that as well.

10. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help! I don't do any file transfers etc, just use it to get on the Internet, I am going to check out a G and N later today at Best Buy.

11. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

So I went to Best Buy today, according to the Geek Squad guy, if I bought an N Gigabit or even a G wireless router I won't see any improvement in upload or download speeds, I would only see an improvement in file transfers using the network, or printing through the network, etc.

12. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Geek Squad? Please don't listen to Geek Squad. NewMacbookPlz sent you in the right direction :p

13. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Wireless G operates at speeds of 54Mb. Unless your internet connection is faster than this there will be no benefit to upgrading to N except the situations the geek squad guy told you.

14. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

The N router I looked at was a Belkin $99, $30 cheaper than the Linksys.

The Linksys G router was around $60.

I don't expect a miracle, I would just like to improve the upload and download speeds if at all possible.

I just did a speed test on Speakeasy.net to the Washington DC server, here are the results below, would G router make it better?

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1307 kbps (163.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3470 kbps (433.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

15. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Plug it directly into the wireless router (or the modem if you only have a wireless gateway) and do the test and let us know the difference

16. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

Directly hook to the modem results, as you can see it is MUCH faster when hooked directly into the modem.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 8711 kbps (1088.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5723 kbps (715.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

17. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Looks like a weak wireless signal, so G would definitely help. However, if you are really far from the router, G may not be strong either.

18. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

I am within 10 feet of the router, but I went out to get a Belkin G+ wireless router but Best Buy did not have it in stock so I got the Belkin N wireleess router, I am going to hook it up now and see if it improves the speeds.

19. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Farkin' sweet!!

Definitely had that B-router choking you out. With the wireless, you should see better speed using WPA/WPA2 as opposed to WEP, along with far better security.

WPA/WPA2 have significantly lower overhead on the network that WEP. With the updated AirPort drivers, your iBook will support WPA/WPA2 as well if it doesn't already.

20. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

WOW I just hooked up the Belkin N Wireless, had to call support tho, but here are the upload and download speeds to Washington DC

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 15694 kbps (1961.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5454 kbps (681.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

21. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Absolutely awesome. Sounds like what I test at around here!

Enjoy your new-found bandwidth!! :p

22. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!

I just tested it again, wow this made my day! Even the wired computers seem faster

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 15746 kbps (1968.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5366 kbps (670.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

23. RDM3 thread starter macrumors regular

I just did a test on the wired Gateway Comptuer we have, it was bought within the past 6 months so it is not old. The Macbook on wireless is just as fast as wired!

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 15882 kbps (1985.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5346 kbps (668.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

24. Kyeris macrumors 6502

25. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I learned not to listen to anyone at Best Buy after they tried to down-sell me to a router that wasn't selling very well. Don't listen to them at all.