Wireless Router Questions-Newbie!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nocturnal dark, Sep 3, 2007.

1. nocturnal dark macrumors member

Ok, I am going to be getting DSL here next week. They company said they will ship me a modem for it.

Now, if I want to surf the web on my Macbook anywhere in my apartment .
    I need a wireless router. Correct?

And I'll have to hook up the modem to the phone jack, then the cable to the router and then I'll be wireless-right??

Also, where is a good place to place the router? Behind a sofa-ok? Or up high on a shelf-better??

I have saw the Apple Airport Extreme Base Stations on Apple.com. I am going to be the only one here, (since I live alone) using Internet.

I was wondering if there's cheaper alternative to the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station that I could use?

It just seems like that's a bit overpriced to me.....Thoughts??

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, your setup will be Phone Jack->Modem->Router

Router does not have to be up high, I usually stick mine in a corner.

You don't need to use an Airport Extreme. I have been using Linksys routers for years, other people use DLink, Netgear, or Belkin without any trouble.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If all you are doing with the wireless signal is surf the net, then you certianly don't need an AEBS. Your DSL connection will be much slower than the AEBS's wirelss n signal. An Airport Express would serve you well as would any wireless g router which can be had for $50 or less. Added bonus of the express is that you can attach a printer to the USB port for wireless printing and it is the only wireless router that allows you to play your iTunes music wireless to a stereo via the mini jack on the Express.

4. nocturnal dark thread starter macrumors member

Ok, now what's difference between g and n and other letter routers??:confused:

I am kinda confused on that one....:p:confused:

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The letters are the protocol version. The higher the letter the faster the speeds, N is currently the highest. But a G router is quite fast, most routers are backwards compatible with all of the protocols. So if you get a G router it will work with A and B protocols.

I say a G is what you want, as the N routers are still a bit expensive.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

g is the previous generation of wireless router. Maximum speed is 54mbps. n is the new generation. Maximum speed is 300mbps. Your DSL lin will probably be no more than 5mbps.

7. nocturnal dark thread starter macrumors member

So stick with a ''G'' router then?

So, really with modems and routers...there's no Mac or PC only ones. They work on either machines.

It's just Apple is pushing it's Airport Base Station to get my hard earned cash.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Correct. But as far as n routers go, the AEBS is one of the best. It has great range and is a very flexible router. It is one of the few onto which you can attach an external hard disk through the USB port and have a network drive.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I think you're best to go with a G router for the time being. We've used a Linksys wireless for some time, and have it set up with Vonage, overseas, and have been pleased with it. If you're on one floor, you should be okay.