Wireless router recommendation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alanlindsay, May 28, 2008.

1. alanlindsay macrumors member

Hi, could someone please recommend a reasonably priced wireless router for use with my Penryn MBP. I use cable to connect to the internet, what sort of range would you expect with these things in a brick house? Also are their complications from running from having draft n and g computers on the same network? Thanks very much

Alan Lindsay

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's difficult when you say reasonably priced, I'd say the Linksys WRT600N is a top notch router that's reasonably price, but it's $280. It you can set one band to N-only and another band to Mixed, so you can run 2 networks on the same router on different frequencies without any interference.

If you already have an existing router and you just want an N-router, I'd say the Airport Extreme is a very good investment; just set N to 5GHz only and it should have no interference with your G network.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Get the AirPort Extreme Base Station. Yes, it costs more than most routers, but it's darn worth it. I literally gave away a Linksys 802.11g router a couple of years ago because I so hated the firmware interface.

If you use a lot of video (i.e. rip your TV shows and movies from DVDs like I do), you can use the AEBS kind of as a file server. I store all the video files on a couple of hard disks. You can also set up Time Machine to back up this way now, but I haven't tried that yet.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Brick built houses certainly do reduce the range of a router, but the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station has a greater range than many and is more likely to cope in that situation... :)

My only gripe with the AEBS is the lack of an adsl modem, thats is a real pain ... :(

5. geekygoddess macrumors member

What about a Time Capsule? It is just like an Airport Extreme, but also has a hard drive so you can do wireless back ups as well. Only $299 for 500 GB and $499 for 1TB. Just a thought:)

6. alanlindsay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I like the look of the AEBS and TC500Gb. I have just a few more (newb) questions.

1. Can I connect my existing wired network no problem?
    2. Does the AEBS/TC seamlessly combine 802.11n & 802.11g ?

Thanks very much

7. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

No problems intermixing g and n networks. With the AEBS n speeds drop if a g network card is also accessing as it can't use the entire 5GHz bandwidth.

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Yes to #1.

I have my iMac, and a Windows XP desktop, both wired, along with my Wireless MPB all connected to the AEBS.

The Macs are on the same network so I can Screen Share, File Share, and Print to my Laser and InkJet printers.