Wireless Router Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pixelmage, May 23, 2010.

1. Pixelmage macrumors member

I am looking into buying a new wireless router to replace my aging Belkin G Router (F5D7231-4P). I guess an "N" router is what I should looking at now.

Here are some of the things I liked about it:
    1. Mac Friendly
    2. Firewall (of course)
    3. MAC address filtering
    4. WAN Ping Blocking
    5. Security (WPA-PSK)
    6. Displays DHCP Client List
    7. Parental Control
    8. Channel and SSID
    9. Four Ethernet ports
    10. Status lights on the front
    11. Decent wireless range

I am still research on what's out there but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. PsychOfMSE macrumors member

I love my Airport Extreme. Have a 2tb external hooked up to it to backup most of the info on all my macs. Makes time machine a breeze!

3. Pixelmage thread starter macrumors member

I am kind of considering it but I wish the status lights were on the front. Also how is the wireless range? I thought antennas on a router device are important. There none on the Airport.

Are there any screen shots that shows the various levels of the user interface?

4. PsychOfMSE macrumors member

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

If you want a good product that requires a little bit of know-how, check out Mikrotik.

6. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

Another vote for Airport Extreme. Was a breeze to set up the printer to the USB and have my wife's PC laptop print wireless to it.

7. Tulsacoker macrumors newbie

Sounds like you described the Airport Extreme :D

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'd definitely recommend Airport Extreme. I've been through the D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, etc stuff and even if I quit using Mac products tomorrow I'd stick with the Apple network gear.

I'm not sure why you need the status lights up front. They always seemed more annoying than anything. Range is fine. My N devices aren't too far away, but I use my G devices on the 2nd floor of my home with strong signals and great speeds and my AEBS is in my basement.

They are plenty flexible as well.

9. Pixelmage thread starter macrumors member

I am still on the fence about the AEBS. I have read plenty of good reviews. However some users found that there is not as much robust features and/or control over certain functions that are normally found in higher-end routers at the same or lessor price. And others question the reliability of the built-in firewall. So I am not sure what to make out of all this.

I certainly like the extra control / functions in my old router but I need to upgrade it soon.

I am also looking at the Cisco Linksys E3000 and Netgear Rangemax WNDR370. Has anyone had any decent experiences with these two?

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I recently got a dual band Airport Extreme base station and its worked out pretty well. Our old Belkin 54G needed reset constantly and had poor coverage. So far I really don't have any complaints especially since I got it on eBay for $88 shipped.

11. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I'm also looking for a new wireless router that'll also work with the occasional Windows 7 boot, and while I like the look of the Airport Extreme, I have one issue with it - and this also goes back to one of the OP's requirements: it only has 3 Ethernet spots, not 4.

Although I have to admit, being able to hook the printer up to the router is very appealing :)

12. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

I'd also like to hear about anyone's experience with the Linksys E3000 or the Netgear Rangemax mentioned above. I currently have the AEBS (sim dual band) and looking to return it for a router that works better with iPad. I know not everyone has trouble with the AE, but it struggles to maintain a decent signal/connection just one room over, with the iPad anyways. I need the range and like most of the features of said routers. It would be nice to save the $$ difference too. Thx!